You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Fitting Non Standard Exhaust

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DanJack

Oct 11

DanJack says:

Fitting Non Standard Exhaust

Ok, I want to put a non standard exhaust on my Suzuki SV650s. I am currently insured under third party fire and theft so will I have to declare the new exhaust to the insurance company? And will it make any difference to my insurance price

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 December 2011 12:02)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Any mods

need declaring to your insurance. As to whether it makes a difference, you'd have to ask your insurers; some will charge extra, others it makes no difference.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mod

As AdieR says,i declared my can with no extra performance or cost.Also a different exhaust can effect the running if carbed or fuel injection.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Modifications

In theory, all modifications should be reported to your insurers. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Just a thought boys???????

If you have the exhaust on your car replaced(due to rot or other problems)and you or a exhaust fitting shop fits your car with a none standard exhaust(as they always do as a original part is nearly always a lot more expensive)i would not declare that to my insurance.So why should it make any difference coz its your bike?If the exhaust was fitted dangerously and could be proven to have caused a accident then i suppose your insurance would say its your fault?.But wouldn't that be picked up be your MOT stations(at time of renewal?)again if it was to loud then either the police or again the MOT would fail it or fine you.So is this a bit of a gray area,as you wouldn't inform your insurance if you fitted different brake pads(race pads)air filter,handle bars, tyres(as long as there the correct size)or many other after market parts,unless you wished them to be insured in case of damage or theft.Is this how it works?what your point of view:smile

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mods

I can think of two reasons,performance enhancement:blink:,also if a claim is made the ins would prefer to pay for the declared cheaper exhaust than the original mega pounds one.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Exactly my point Jaffa

the insurance would rather pay out for a cheaper after market exhaust,than the usually more expensive factory fitted item.As for performance enhancing,that would mean that would need to be proven,again a gray area,as many bikes fitted with an after market exhaust,although sound a lot nicer without the correct tune will often give no gain or less gain or very little gain.But you could be right,as i said its just a thought,i am sure if you mention it to your insurer they will love to charge you more money,and try to use it against you in the future?. :lol:

Reply to this Topic
banditsprint

Oct 08

banditsprint says:

It makes a difference because

the policy probably says the bike is only covered if it's to the original spec. 

If you fit an E marked replacement exhaust it probably wouldn't matter but if you fitted a pipe marked Race Use Only or similar then your insurance could be invalid i.e. you have no insurance. So it's best to tell them.

Never mind comparing bikes to cars - it's like comparing apples to horses.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

just to throw a curve ball.. when i had a bandit, it had an aftermarket exhaust on among other modifications, none of which were declared to my insurer.. i got hit by a blind woman driver and received a great payout for the writing off of my bike... none of the mods were ever brought up...

Reply to this Topic
banditsprint

Oct 08

banditsprint says:

that's because you claimed off her policy, not your own

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Some insurers

will not cover any mods. If your current insurance is with one of them, you run the risk of your policy being voided for non-disclosure in the event of a claim. If you're insured with ebike or Carol Nash I would definitely declare it, as it won't effect your premium.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices