You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > cbt

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fiestagvg

Dec 11

fiestagvg says:

cbt

hi iam looking for some clarification on the law about cbt`s my insurance compant told me last week that if i passed my car driving licence before feb 2001 and had a motorcycle provisional entitilment on it then i dont have to do a cbt to get on the road i passed my car test in 1984 and had motorcycle provisional licence since 1981 i dont think my insurance company are correct they checked it again and said the same can anyone confirm if this is correct iam still a learner and have a kawasaki kh125 1994. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 January 2012 14:01)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As far as I know

the Feb 2001 rule is that it gives you full moped entitlement on a car licence without doing CBT (ie 50cc and limited to 30mph), but for a 125cc CBT is still required.

Thats my understanding anyway.

Reply to this Topic
fiestagvg

Dec 11

fiestagvg says:

cbt

hi cheers mate for the info on the cbt that is my understanding of the law aswell dont know where the insurance company got there understanding from i will run it by the dvla next week then phone the insurance back it was swinton bike insurance that gave me the duff info
:blink:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

cbt

I think (unless things have changed) that with the date you got your licence, if you have "Motorcycle entitlement" on it, you can ride up to a 125cc WITH "L" PLATES on.

But I'd ring a training company to find out for sure.

Reply to this Topic
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

Directgov answers all

If you have a car driving licence

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped rights.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence and then complete a CBT course.

Shiny side up :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices