Skip to content

Discuss This Water-cooled BMW R1250GS spied! New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Water-cooled BMW R1250GS spied!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Water-cooled BMW R1250GS spied!

These world exclusive spy shots clearly show for the first time the all-new BMW R1250GS features the biggest single overhaul of the massive-selling and class-leading bike in its 30 years with a new water-cooled engine. This is the biggest change to the GS in current form since the bike was given a new engine with the arrival of the R1100GS back...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 January 2012 12:47)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
coleighf

Nov 10

coleighf says:

R1250GS

This "adventure" style for bikes that mostly never go off road is getting to be a bore, it's a bubble waiting to be burst. A bike doesn't need to look like it's been made from a meccano set and be a pig to clean just to give you an upright riding position. When is common sense going to prevail and give us decently enclosed bikes with this comfortable riding stance and yet not displaying engines resembling washing machines and not needing tooth-brushes to get the crud out of the nooks and crannies? We all loved watching Ewan and Charlie, but surely riding bikes on the road is about more than fashion. I couldn't care if the GS is air cooled or water cooled, it doesn't do anything for me. Still, clearly it turns a lot of people on ! We can't all be the same.

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

R1250GS

It would be good if they did a low spec version of the current air cooled bike to complement this. Stripped of all electronic nonsense and just made robust for those that want it as a true adventure bike - assuming it can be done and meet emission targets. They wouldn't need to chase power with it just make it light as possible. Then this water cooled version can chase the all rounder and commuter market where they need to compete with Triumphs and Ducatis.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

with all these adventure bikes being purchased.... why do I never see any on the road (or off for that matter)? Maybe most people are cleaning all the crud with a toothbrush as coleghf suggests or tucked up nice and warm watching Charlie and Ewan DVD'S. bless. And why do they all look the same? (Kawasaki 1000 versys excluded).

Reply to this Topic
trackdayfreak

Oct 11

Isn't BMW loosing the whole point of the BMW boxer range people buy them for their simplicity and reliability,what is the point of making an already good engine more complex particularly as it is hardly high performance.

I would rather have a Japanese four cylinder bike than an overcomplicated flat twin,what's the point,it's neither powerful or simple.

I used to own a BMW R1100GS and it was reliable and very simple to service and simple to fix if it broke down,the reason I bought one was the simplicity combined with the reliability.

I now own a CBR 900RRT it's fifteen years old but still reliable and fast and handles and brakes well too I don't mind the engine being more complex than the BMW because it has great engine performance.

If I bought another BMW it would be the original R1150 GS for the sheer simplicity and proven nature of it's components.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

trackdayfreak

You've kind of answered your own question there. It's exactly why we buy new bikes. Thank god we do otherwise we would all be scrapping over some 100 year old originals and slagging off anything new.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Already Here

“When is common sense going to prevail and give us decently enclosed bikes with this comfortable riding stance and yet not displaying engines resembling washing machines and not needing tooth-brushes to get the crud out of the nooks and crannies?”

Uh, Honda NT700V Deauville? At least it is comfortable enough for me to ride to the seashore and back* in a couple of days. And I just spray some soapy water on it every once and while, then rinse with a low-pressure hose.

* About 2,100 miles round trip.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Emissions Compliance

The larger the per cylinder displacement, the more difficult it is to meet emissions standards, so the days of large, air-cooled, I-2, H-2 and V-2 engines are numbered.

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I wonder when these bikes will be shown? They look almost finished.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

H2 OHH....Will be as good?

I hope Bmw launch this bike with more usable power,better thirst control,lighter and sexier than present bike(however i do like the present bike,but not quite perfect). Nice too see RAD CALS and,BMW why not install an OHLINS shock at least in rear as standard,seen as though the price is becoming ridiculous.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

I will buy one

in 2014 or 2015 with the following assumptions:

1. the world doesn't end on 21st Dec

2. my 2006 GS doesn't die before then

3. inflation doesn't push the price up to £25k

4. we aren't at war with Germany

hmm, not looking too likely is it...