Skip to content

Discuss This Battle of the twins: Harley Switchback vs. Victory Cross Roads Tour First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Battle of the twins: Harley Switchback vs. Victory Cross Roads Tour

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Battle of the twins: Harley Switchback vs. Victory Cross Roads Tour

These two similar-looking machines are the latest tourers from Harley Davidson and Victory. Fresh in from the States, the 2012 £13,400 Harley Davidson Switchback and £14,995 Victory Cross Roads Tour have been crafted to transport you from A to B in laid-back, V-twin comfort. These are two similar takes on the ‘bagger’ – cool customs with hard panniers or ‘bags’. ...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 January 2012 13:18)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dsbpost

Sep 10

dsbpost says:

Not sure where the 55 crack comes from, but average freeway speed- non rush hour - is 75 in LA whatever the posted limit is. I wouldn't push it in Oklahoma though. I am curious, what is it on motorways?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Speed Limits

In most of the US, speed limits on rural controlled access roads in most states range from 65 mph (~105 kph) to 75 mph (~121 kph), with enforcement starting at about 5 to 10 mph over the limit.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Image over Substance

I won’t speak for the UK, but in the US cruiser sales dominate. Many are sold for the “pretend 1% MC club member” bad-boy image to middle class professionals. Typically they are used for toys, only being ridden on weekends during the warmer months, as many are too uncomfortable to ride more than an hour or so. (Commuting on a motorcycle in the US is extremely rare, and doing so in cold weather makes you a freak.) These loutish owners also generally enjoy disturbing the peace with excessive exhaust noise and the ridiculous belief that “loud pipes save lives”.

In the case of Harley-Davidson, there is an almost religious following, with the belief that other bikes are inferior in design, reliability, etc. And never try to convince the H-D devotees with discussion, as their minds are generally closed to facts regarding motorcycles. Indeed, they often will not even listen to reasoned arguments such as there is no way a 1.7L H-D V-2 with a 111-mm stroke can rev as fast as a 600-cc I-4 with a 42-mm stroke – they stop listening and respond with nonsense such as “Harleys are some of the fastest bikes around”. These louts also offer unsolicited advice – I have been told many times I should have bought a H-D instead of my CBR600F4i or Deauville (an exotic bike in the US, often mistaken for a Beemer), despite H-D not making a comparable bike.

Reply to this Topic
charlesq_70

Aug 07

charlesq_70 says:

Cruiser appeal

Snev, I moved to a cruiser last year after riding a CBR600F and before that a ZZ-R600 (and several other bikes before). I loved my CBR600F but I'm no racer and was never going to make the bike do everything it could. And while great on the highway and back roads it wasn't the comfiest or torquiest bike for an urban commute. I test rode a couple of cruisers, just for fun really, and just loved it. I now ride a Kawasaki Vulcan and am longing for a Harley after test riding one the other day. These bikes make perfect sense as commuters. They don't strain your wrists around town, they're amazingly tractable and flexible at lower speeds and a breeze to launch. I do tire quicker on a day-long trip than I did on my CBR600F (or especially the ultra-comfy ZZ-R600), but that's less than half of my riding. I don't feel any pressure to go fast or 'get my knee down', I enjoy riding at all speeds now, and I get there just as quick if not quicker. There's a lot to love about cruisers and there is something extra special about Harleys I think -- the feel of an air cooled, pushrod V-twin is thrilling in a very primitive way (in fact I got a similar feeling when I rode a Yamaha MT-01). Piglet2010, there are certainly a lot of poseurs and fairweather bikers around, on all kinds of bikes, everywhere. And the HD variety is one of the more obnoxious. But your comments about cruiser riders don't really square with my experience, both in person and through forums. Lots of guys commute on these bikes. About a third of the bikes parked outside my workplace each day, all year round, are cruisers.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

After a decade on sportsbikes, buying a new one every 3 years, just to find out it feels just the same as the one before it ( my SP2 was the exception ) , ive grown bored with them, 195bhp and all the electronics in the world just doesnt float my boat, id be more inclined to buy an older R1 or Gixxer thou now, they appeal more, but on the flip side i did some of Route 66 a couple of years back with a few friends, we had HD Heritage Softails, and you know what, i really enjoyed myself, sure it felt underpowered, brakes where shit and it handled like a bus...but who cares!! i was immersed in the experience..

Could i have a Harley at home, i dont think so, but them Victory Hammer S look mighty fine, 114ft/lbs of torque at about 3500rpm...compared to my 08R1 i had, 75 ft/lbs at 8000 rpm ish..., ok the R1 would waste it once you wound it up, but you're on a hiding to nothing these days riding like that, my mate got banned up scotland with us a couple of years back on his zx10, he pulled the throttle back for about 2 secs, up to 120 in the blink of an eye......zapped...banned.. i know its miserable to think that way, but ive grown to enjoy biking again for what it is, just being out there and riding, without doing 3rd gear mingers and knee down...got the t-shirt as they say..

I'm after a bike with character , that makes you smile under your lid even when youre doing 40 mph ...quite what that bike is yet im not sure, but i can tell you this much...it wont be an S1000rr / ZX10...of 2011 vintage..

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

@piglet2010

they stop listening and respond with nonsense such as “Harleys are some of the fastest bikes around”.

PMSL...proper funny that is..

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Best Commuter?

@ charlesq_70 – Well, I have a CBR600F4i, and do not commute on it either, since the riding position and power-band are best on the open road, and it has no storage. Since I do not need to go on motorway roads, I ride a Honda NHX110 Elite (aka Lead) most days, since the riding position is ideal for traffic, and it is hard to beat the low center of gravity, light weight, and “twist-and-go” operation in traffic; and between the top case, under-seat storage, and bag hooks, I can carry a week’s worth of grocery. If I have to go somewhere farther away, I take my NT700V “Dullville” which is also very comfortable and practical, but considerably more work in stop and go riding. If I had a mixed commute of stop-and-go and motorways, I would likely get a Suzuki Burgman 400 or Yamaha TMAX.

I actually am thinking about getting a cruiser – the Triumph America is one that I actually like the looks of, and it has an I-2 instead of a V-2 engine.

Reply to this Topic
hobbit1066

Oct 12

hobbit1066 says:

LOUT here LOL

ive read the comments and i must be a lout LOL, i ride and own a switchback and unlike the majority of riders of Harleys i also ride others - namely CBR600F1, R6, and will one day have a Ducati 848. The switch back is quite an accomplished HD but not without its faults and it has a MASSIVE one that most owners will tell you about until your crying into your beer - a rather vicious vibration - yeah i know its a Harley they all vibrate but this is above and beyond at 2800 - 3200 Rpms right were it makes most of its Torque its unrideable due to the vibes, they are cureable the all important HD tax cures it but adds the extra the Vic is over it oh and adds a LOUD exhaust sorry piglet2010 thats my loutish side, there is another option and that is to source the SE night stick from the US and fit that - its louder but not obnoxious and makes the bike enjoyable to ride if you count 400+ miles in 12hours enjoyable, ti commutes and due to the higher floorboards will back road blast really well. Having come from a Nightrod recently i do miss the high RPM power but the extra stump pulliing TQ and better handling means i knocked 10mins off my test route as the Switchback allowed me to corner without slowing If you hate harleys you will forever hate them but if your a biker and love all 2 wheeled machines you might not be as conditioned as the HOG member or the RAT or what ever the Honda club is called LOL, enjoy the ride on what ever suits your needs and what you enjoy

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices