Skip to content

Discuss This BMW answers MCN theft campaign General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BMW answers MCN theft campaign

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BMW answers MCN theft campaign

BMW has become the first manufacturer to security mark all new bikes in response to an MCN campaign. The firm will mark every bike it sells with a unique hidden code on dozens of individual parts linking them to the owner. The system deters thieves by making it more difficult for them to sell the bike or parts without getting caught....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 January 2012 16:51)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
souroush

Nov 11

souroush says:

Very well done BMW

and I hope the rest follow soon....it is about time to give the bikers what they deserve.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

brilliant

brilliant, excellent idea and about time, hopefully the other manufacturers will follow suit

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

brilliant

brilliant, excellent idea and about time, hopefully the other manufacturers will follow suit

Reply to this Topic
Nostrils

May 06

Nostrils says:

Well Done BMW

I had this on Honda a few years back and the insurance reflected this fact, not sure if it does now. I much prefer the special dye systems which have their own individual DNA, so cannot be copied and the dye is invisible and will stay with a thief or their clothes. Well don BMW, perhaps all the other manufacturers will follow suit, the industry should make Datatag or similar compulsory.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

How about a decent Police force

This is a great idea a kudos to BMW for doing it. Problem is it seems that either us the consumer goes out of our way to make our machines harder to steal or the manufacturer helps us we usually end up paying for it, but it seems the Police will take full credit for the the lower theft rates that have nothing at all to do with them. Look at car theft in the 80/90s cars were very easy to steal, then the manufacturers made them almost impossible to take without the keys, the Police instantly decided it was them who did all the work by liaising with manufacturers, sorry but they did next to zero. Problem with any advance in security in protecting your machine is that criminals will evolve newer more intelligent/dangerous ways of parting us from our goods, as in the case of the car criminals now break into houses to steal cars. If the Police did a better job of punishing criminals so it seemed a bad idea to break the law then we would'nt need to do their job for them.    

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Where BMW leads, other will follow I'm sure.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The police do what now?

The police don't "prosecute" thieves, that's the CPS.

The police barely even investigate motorcycle thefts - we've read here that they won't bother to get a warrant to open a lock-up identified by a GPS locator until they're shamed into it by the media.

Even if they do find your bike, the thief will just claim to have bought it for cash from a bloke in a car park that morning, he's just about to send off for the V5, and they're unlikely to even bother arresting him.

If you've very lucky, they'll call you to tell you where they last saw it and recommend that you go and pick it up.  More likely, you'll get a call to tell them that it's been impounded and you can pay £150 plus £40 a day into their retirement fund until you go and pick up the remains of it.

So while I commend BMW for doing this, it's not likely to make much of a dent in the professional thieves' business.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

Re Roqerborg

Exactly. Why have a Police force at all why don't we do it all ourselves and save the council tax. I had two motorcycles stolen and each time all I got was a patronising dick telling me what I should have done. I had two steel doors on either end of the entry and alarm wall mounted abus chain all they wanted to do was give me a crime incident number. I now have a very large pissed off dog who has social issues he does'nt do crime incident numbers.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

The Police are a joke!

A drunk driver hit my car the other week said sorry drove off,call the police at 7.30pm she turned up at 9.45pm her excuse was she was the only one in the area and had other incidents to attend to and she couldent go and take a breath test off him because it was to long ago and couldent prove he was drinking at the time!

We should do what the Irish do any dick that steals a bike/car gets kneecaped by the men on the estate,its a great insentive not be be a naughty boy.

Rant over

Reply to this Topic
gasgas280

Jul 08

gasgas280 says:

Honda beat them to it!

I'm pretty sure Honda have been using smartwater for quite a number of years? It would be interesting to know how successful it has been in linking the bikes to there original owners and do the police even know about Honda using it?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle