Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

reflective item of clothing

"From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. "

Is there any mention of what percentage of the clothing has to be reflective?  Most riding gear has some reflective strips on them and if this is adequate to cover for the new regulation then it changes very little.

Reply to this Topic
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

@wobblybiker

agreed - my leather jacket has high vis strips on it that mean I can't have a photo taken of it in with flash... surely that is high vis?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Hi Viz

If the majority of Motorcyclists ignore the ruling what can the French govt do, they couldn't proscecute everyone who ignored the ruling.

I'll not be wearing one over here if the law comes in ... i'll find some Human Rights law i could quote i'm sure if i looked hard enough.

The trouble with Hi Viz being law is once everyone is wearing it then after a time it's the norm so car drivers etc will still not see us.  

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

WHO NEXT AFTER THE FROGS ...???

Myopic, careless & don't give a shit drivers kill & injure us - but the "official" verdict (from officials) is that it is OUR entire fault - again, or - still. Trumpet Triple has got a good point too ...

And here we go again - this pre-supposes that drivers are more loathe to kill & or injure anyone riding a machine with a capacity under 125cc? WTF? We all know it is just as easy (even easier, in point of fact) to get creamed riding a small capacity bike, bereft of the acceleration to squeak away from danger. And I have personally witnessed bigger numbers of lunatics on scooters than I have ever seen on proper motorcycles, so - what sort of bullshit and anti-motorcycle rationale is that?

I have thought for very many years that Legislators should ride a motorcycle on public highways for at least 24 months before they are given the right to "assume" what is best for us motorcyclists and to actually experience for themselves what happens in the "real World" before lunging-in and making stupid knee-jerk decisions such as this.

One of the reasons I got to be so old & ugly is that I believe very strongly in Primary Safety and "being seen". Part of that defensive stance is wearing bright or contrasting & easily visible colours to go with and augment headlights that are hard-wired ON here in Australia. Still plenty of close shaves and moments - despite all these “visual aids”...you all know the story here, eh? Sorry, mate - I didn't see you. Yeah -right - because you didn't even effing LOOK !

Having said all that - there shouldn't be Legislation punishing us and involving higher costs to bikers when we are so vulnerable and NOT the problem here. IMHO - anyone who doesn't wear gloves, joint, feet & leg protection and a full-face helmet is a fool and Legislation forcing this latter one was acceptable for those intent on exercising their right to die or ruin their and their family's life via a head injury. But this is something else and a very large, almost Fascist step too far.

It is unacceptable and draconian and should be resisted with all our might and will. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
Black955tiger

Jul 08

Although I agree that this is yet another useless law that doesn't hit the problem of myopic car drivers. Have to say that 150cm squared amounts to a small portion of a belt. Or, how about a Hi-Viz Buff where most of it is tucked down your jacket? How we get around it depends, of course, on how the law is actually written but get around it we will.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

all i say is just cut france out of your hol plans there plenty of nice roads to the left and right of france

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

For the love of God!!!!

Got to agree with TrumpetTriple...

"The trouble with Hi Viz being law is once everyone is wearing it then after a time it's the norm so car drivers etc will still not see us."  It's a classic case of familiarity breeds contempt.

What use is high vis if you're wearing a ruck sack???

Yet another ill informed and poorly thought out piece of discriminatory shite :-|

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Le Bollox

I wear hi vis because I choose to, not because anyone says I have to. I may not agree with your opinion, but will defend to the hilt your right to it. I'm surprised that with the French attitude to government pushing them around, the local authority buildings haven't been blockaded and Old Madam Guilatine wheeled out of retirement. And please, can we just get car drivers to fucking look. It's not hard, they all have two eyes with most of them facing forward. Just bloody use them.

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

This is so easy for me, I hate France, if we've ever had problems touring abroad itz been in France. If I can get out of Calais without being knobbled I'll just turn left into Belgium. As usual those in power decide policy against those who know what it will mean, I feel sorry for those that will go out of business because of a lack of motorcycle tourists. I've a feeling their riders will not take it lying down and go against it anyway I'll go to the rest of europe instead

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle