Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Jaysus, MCN, could you really not find a picture of a reflective Sam Browne belt or a bib with reflective strips?  That jacket (I have one in orange) will not satisfy Le Frogs, although it may satisfy the Paddy's threat to mandate sleeved "hi vis".

If we're going to rant about how bloody idiotic this legislation is (and it is) then let's at least do it from a position of common understanding about what the cheese eating reflector monkeys are requiring.

Personally I think a nice reflective heraldic back patch might suffice, perhaps a hand argent, proper, two fingers rampant.  Or cut to the chase and just put "AGINCOURT 1415" on your back in reflective tape.

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

None So Blind..

Had a visually impaired old f*cker pull out on me once when I was driving a lorry for a living. Taught me two things, air brakes are mighty impressive and always look out for doddery old f*ckers in flat caps with milk bottle bottom glasses. I'm sure I would have been seen if the lorry had been painted dayglo orange and playing the Marseilles on air-horns.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Can't see the point

of it.

I came out of work the other day, only to have a taxi pull out on me, quite simply because he didn't actually bother to look in my direction. It were my riding that saved my bacon, not Hi-viz (I don't use Hi-viz anyway) and Hi-viz wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference so to speak.

Quite apart from the other comment of it becoming "normal", the other possibility is that riders may "feel" safer and be inclined to take more risks - it can happen.

In 6 years I've never used Hi-viz and I'm still here (touch wood).

Reply to this Topic
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

@flem88...

If you READ it is says riders of bikes OVER 125cc... not up to 125cc..

Which is pointless as its usually the riders of 50cc to 125cc who are less confident and more likely to make mistakes as they tend to be learners.

And I STILL can't see 'em making any of the bike group MCCs (such as the hell's angels etc) wear it.

Reply to this Topic
luxybob

Sep 10

luxybob says:

Doubt that it will work -and its above 125cc or 15kw

I can't see it working, I live in France and there are loads of 'laws' that are just ignored daily. Also with the upcoming election it smacks of typical French voter appeal by the poisoned dwarf, can see it being amended and dropped/watered down in the second half of the year. Say only for use on motorways.

Just like all changes that were made to the speed camers, started off as a total ban and removal of all camera warning signs, then ended up as sign that hows you how fast you are going then 200m later there is a speed camera.

This is a copy from the French web site on the changes (note changes in 2012 re gloves and boots):

Equipment required for motorcycles

Not later than 1 January 2013, all drivers or passengers of a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity exceeding 125 cm3 or a vehicle of category L5e a capacity exceeding 15 kW, must wear a provided with a Equipment reflective, corresponding either to French standards or other standards to ensure an equivalent level of safety, provides the order of January 3, 2012.

This equipment, in one or more parties must be a total surface area of ​​at least 150 cm2.

If this equipment is not built from the beginning to the garment, it is superimposed by any means (safety vest).

The equipment must be worn on the upper body, with the exception of the helmet, from the belt line of the shoulders, so as to be visible to other road users.

Note that in the course of 2012, the Ministry of Transport could also make the wearing of gloves and shoes suitable for driving a bike.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

high viz

IT IS NOT HIGH VIZ that is required to be worn. It is REFLECTIVE material. They are 2 totally different things.

Most textile jackets have lots of reflective piping on them, even if you can't see it during the day.

GET IT RIGHT MCN.

Reply to this Topic
marshk

Aug 02

marshk says:

Sounds to me like another good reason not to go to France. Went to France and Spain on the bike last year and Spain is a far better place to ride - roads just as good, weather much better and the people are a heck of lot nicer - and the foods better!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

So the smallest bikes on the road (and bicycles!) are easy to spot and Harleys, Goldwings etc are invisible! Are the authorities taking the p**s? So after 1 or 2 years after this ludicrous legislation comes in, if the accident rates havn't changed, will they repeal this law?

Reply to this Topic
Sora

Aug 11

Sora says:

When will it end.

Again non biking people making laws on people that ride bikes. When will it end. Again we are being alienated deciding now on our look. Will it prevent this type of accident ,drivers or pedestians not seeing us , I doubt it.

Reply to this Topic
grahamber

Nov 11

grahamber says:

The French decision

Agree with much of the foregoing - the good news is that 150 square cm is 5x5 inch of reflective material - not the end of the world if you have to slap a sticker of that size on your jacket for a trip to France.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices