Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Some excellent comments, The 'Big Brother' EUs Nanny State's' latest phase in its long term plan to phase out biking, the safety Nazis are determined to drive bikers off the roads via firstly making it as difficult as possible to get a licence,then if you succeed, to make the riding experience as unenjoyable as possible by getting us kitted out as 'dayglow dereks', anti tamper legislation etc, Would love to see all riders over there refuse to wear it, to attempt to prosecute them all would bring the legal system to a grinding halt

Abolish the corrupt EU and its undemocratic authoritarian police state along with the MEP's and their cronies on the gravy train as soon as possible

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

More Than a Fine

Should be more than a fine for a cager texting or jabbering on the phone while in the driver’s seat of a moving vehicle – public flogging would be a good start.

And the reason that politicians pick on motorcyclists instead of the much more dangerous cagers is the cagers outnumber motorcyclists several times over.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

Most of you don't seem to know this,

but there is already a law in France that requires riders to have three reflective spots on their helmets. Anyone who has purchased a Shark helmet recently will have had three reflective stickers supplied with the helmet, to be placed on either side and at the rear. This only applies if you take the bike to France, of course.

That being said, I have yet to hear of anything on this matter on any forums or in any magazines, so perhaps "les flics" don't police it too rabidly.

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Combine it with training!

While I support initiatives that aim to reduce accidents in a positive manner, I still think many of these initiatives are fairly passive. What we need is for car and bike drivers/riders to be aware of each other, aware of what their vehicles can do... combine that with high viz kit etc and we should hopefully see a meaningful impact on accident numbers (or am I just bias from years of training riders - from beginner through to track schools?)

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

MCCs

TheWookie says"And I STILL can't see 'em making any of the bike group MCCs (such as the hell's angels etc) wear it."

Yeah, that would be interesting. Congratulations "prospect", here's your reflective top rocker!

Reply to this Topic
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

hi vis

Thanks for adding the info about how much reflective material is needed.

Basically, a lot of riding gear will already have this, and if it doesn't then wearing one of those over-the-shoulder reflective bands will cover it.  Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Que Será, Será

I wonder who will be first to produce a 150cm² V-sign to sick on the back of one's jacket?

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Fashion faux pas?

I really must learn to proof read my posts. "sick" should obviously read "stick". Apologies folks. Maybe it's an attempt to reduce the number of bikers on French roads? The French being the style concious lot that they are might throw their arms up in horror and decide that they couldn't possibly be seen out in hi-viz and give up riding. Let's hope not.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Fuss?

Ask the Irish who'll have to wear full dayglo jackets including the sleeves.

How blind do you have to be to not see that the nutters want to encase us completely in dayglo. Next target will be our bikes, anyone for a bright yellow dayglo Ducati?

Repeat after me "But it's for your own good"

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Steve Farrell

I was 9 when the Helmet Law came in and there were some protests ( my elder brother was riding then ) so remember it well, however that is a sensible safety item, hi Viz isn't, if a driver can't see a motorcycle, headlight blazing then a patch of hi viz ( or even a hi viz jacket ) won't make a difference, once it is the norm it'll be no different to now.

Although the Helmet law coming in was just before you were born you may remember a bloke called Fred Hill who refused to wear a helmet , he was locked up many times for not wearing one and he eventually died in Prison in 1984 ( ish ), a proper hero in many people's eyes ( particularly MAG's ) due to his own strong beliefs/feelings. 

I agree with Ian Mutch's comments wholeheartedly.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle