Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TWeaKoR

Oct 08

TWeaKoR says:

Surely they can't enforce this on foreigners - what about EU's Free Movement of Persons??

Reply to this Topic
cretine

Sep 11

cretine says:

why all the fuss about buying new gear to go there just get one of the cheap waistcoat things to put over your normal jacket like the council wear.

Reply to this Topic
essexboyc

May 05

essexboyc says:

While I completely disagree with this policy as it violates our freedom of choice, which the French are meant to be all for (Egalité, Liberté, Fraternité?), I've just measured the strip of Hi-Vis material on the front of my Hein Gericke jacket which worked out to be 40x5cm across the chest which is 200cm2 if I'm not mistaken and that's not adding in the other patches of hi-vis material on the back of the shoulders. Therefore this Hein Gericke jacket already complies with this law and doesn't look anywhere near as stupid as the one in the picture above, which is just exaggerating the point and sounding more like something the Daily Mail would write.

I have signed the petition however as I might want to wear my leather jacket instead on a sunny day and wouldn't be allowed to under this law. Surely some organisation could take whichever government implemented this law to court on the basis of it violating their human rights?!

Reply to this Topic
Gerrycork

May 09

Gerrycork says:

FRANCE is now off my list of countries to visit on my bike. QED

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Marine Le Pen for French President!

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

Hey

I have that jacket....

Reply to this Topic
foxtrotter

Feb 10

foxtrotter says:

Petition - Low response

So only about 2800 signatues so far.  It may be a surprise to how many bikers might support this. It wasn't "cool" to wear a seat belt and later the crash helmet but many would have preferred to but didn't.  I suspect many bikers would be happy to wear hi- vis if it became law.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

are you allowed to put the blue / white sqaured police tap on the side of your helmet as hivis stuff?

plus i wear a black jacket and hivis  green trousers so now have to wear a hivis over jacket to.

i my buy a old bike and spray it hizis green and wear a one piece hizis over sutie wth a green helmet , gloves and boots and see if i have some one pull out on me or try and knock me off.

Reply to this Topic
Moke1275

Jun 10

Moke1275 says:

I totally agree with Ian Mutch's comments, more so the first part. But, the simple fact is that there are loads of folks out there who are "not fit" to drive. Regardless of the right and wrongs of it it must be better to improve your odds. Technically you are  right to cross the road at a Zebra crossing, technically there should be no need to look. AS they scrape you off the road here in Australia it wont help much saying "I was right!".

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Hi Vis Amisch

It seems we are not alone in our annoyance at the nanny state.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9009023/Amish-men-jailed-over-reflective-triangle-dispute.html

Whilst it may be good sense to do some things I defend to the deat my right not to if I so wish. I shall be happy to take any consequences of my actions

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle