Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gooutgrinning

Mar 11

Hi Vis

I believe that the proposed legislation is for a "retro-reflective area of 150 sq cm. As has been pointed out, that is equivalent to a square patch 12.25 cm by 12.25 cm, or just under 5" by 5". That is very small and likely to be of no more use than the existing, considerably larger retro-reflective area already mounted at the rear of all vehicles - the registration plate. In the UK these are yellow and in France they are white. And the patch on your jacket is likely to be obscured by your top box (which will probably have red reflectors on it!). Stupidly, perhaps, the reflector may not be placed on the back of your helmet, which I think might be the best place for it. The whole thing is a storm in a teacup and a waste of French taxpayers money.

Reply to this Topic
redzedrider

Sep 11

redzedrider says:

Is this reflective area meant to be at the front or back of the rider?

If at the front it will be probably be obscured by the fairing and at the rear it is of absolutely no use in warning traffic that you are approaching, so why have it?

Just how many bikes are rear-ended in France each year??

And what about your pillion?  They will obstruct any rear facing material on your jacket, just as you will obstruct any forward facing material on theirs.

So is it OK to split the reflective panel between rider and pillion?

Reply to this Topic
bikermurf

Jan 12

bikermurf says:

hivis

its high time we as a country stood up for ourselves, and countries that are nothing to do with us and are trying to rule us thru the back door should back off,remember agincourt.

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

"let them eat hi-viz clothing!"

Methinks another revolution is on the cards, starting with those useless twats at Brussels.

Reply to this Topic
bikerphil33eod

Apr 10

HIGH VIS CAR PAINT

Somethings stinks here........and it's not just the fat EuroCats!  Cars etc hit bikers (and cyclists) and they also hit other vehicles.  Oh and let's remember all the pedestrians hit crossing the road too!  Much of the time because they don't see them.  So if the solution to avoid hitting bikers is to force them to wear high-vis then if follows that all other road users should have some sort of high-vis marking.

So the ministers frrm barking madsville would have every man jack bike and lorry glowing like a big yellow light stick if they followed thier own ill informed and utter bunkum nonsense.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Reflective stickers

I think I'll get some stickers made up for my leathers. I think a nice RAF roundel and a SPITFIRE should do nicely. Just to remind the French why German isn't their first language.....

Reply to this Topic
NieljohnUK

Oct 10

NieljohnUK says:

Don't make me laugh...

You can do the full Day-Glo Derek, on a fuc* off ugly great BMW with full striped/chequer board and the blind B'stards will still not see you! I wear it, if only to make sure the b'stards have no excuse, anus Bus Drivers (University of Southampton Uni-Link especially, pedestrian crossing RED lights also don't apply to them either...) who believe they are gods gift don't consider bikes or bikers, driving a 10 Tonne double decker we are just road kill! Imported taxi drivers coming a close second, though the huge 9" screen or larger prat nav's centred in their vision mean they don't even see stopped cars at times! Then the too old/blind/infirm drivers who should have given up years ago, the 75 year old one in Portsmouth who flattened walls, bikes and hit several cars got points, a fine, and to keep his licence!!! Would day-glo have helped, would it fuc*! And under European 'harmonisation' we'll get compulsory day-glo here too, so two fingers to the French (I've got my bow-string fingers salute) and Europe, come on Cameron do the job, get us out of the Euro sh*t properly.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

joke

There is no evidence to support this action of hi viz jackets or clothing prevent any accidents and collisions! So making it law is beyond a joke, hell I ride a kawasaki zx7R and the entire bike is a hi viz jacket on wheels, but this has not stopped many bad motorists almost taking me out. Maybe they should bring a law out that driver should use their mirrors and indicators oh wait!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
HF_ZX10r

Dec 07

HF_ZX10r says:

I've Had Enough !

I think I'll give up biking and take up russian roulette.

If you listen to the hype, it's safer and you need less safety equipment.

Reply to this Topic
HarleyIan

Nov 09

HarleyIan says:

Compulsory Hi-vis gear in France from next year, you are having a laugh!!!

Why are we making it easier for car drivers to knock us off?

In over 30 years or riding all over the world traveling in excess of 500,000 miles I have been knocked off my motorcycle three times while wearing Hi-vis clothing while on the major road by cars trying to join the main road.

Something is missing, its called cognition

Why are we being penalised for the deficiencies of others?

Why not insist that spikes are permanently fixed to all car steering wheels facing the drivers? Now that would get my vote.  Well done to the Mutch for putting it so eloquently.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices