Skip to content

Discuss This Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hi-vis gear compulsory in France from next year

Motorcyclists in France face compulsory high visibility clothing from next year. The French government is pushing ahead with plans for compulsory hi-vis riding gear despite protests. From January 1 2013, riders of bikes over 125cc will have to wear a reflective item of clothing under the French version of the Highway Code. The reflective area must be on the upper body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 09:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rider1000

Mar 10

rider1000 says:

It's that French midget again

I deliver blood on a fully marked bike with hig viz jackets. Only the other week I stupid woman pulled out on me in the night, so even with headlights, marked bike and jacket she didn't see me. All bikers on France should state that they should vote for Sarkozy's opposition in the French presidential election as Long as the opposition candidate promises to can the law

Reply to this Topic
rider1000

Mar 10

rider1000 says:

British biker apathy

Just checked the epetition website. There are a couple of different but related petitions and the total for the biggest one is 2600 or so. We almost deserve this legislation as we can't be bothered to even sign a petition. Come on MCN and MAG (which I am a member of) front run this campaign on the front pages and get some signatures going.

Reply to this Topic
DESMOHEAD

Aug 03

DESMOHEAD says:

Here we go again. Picking on the rider not the driver.  Ride to the conditions of the road. If the conditions tell you "better wear a high vis-vest" then wear one. Saying that, there are a lot of riders out there who have no idea about personal safety when riding and I'm not talking about speeding, I'm talking about "Personal Protective Equipment". So a high vis-vest could be considered as PPE. Trouble is, where is the line between compulsory wearing of PPE and making a personal 'informed' choice. Unfortunately it's blurred, hense the pending Frog legislation.

Reply to this Topic
bimota3823

Dec 10

bimota3823 says:

Only on bikes over 125

I find it hard to believe that if this stupid idea goes forward, that the under 125cc rider is not required to wear Hi Viz everyone knows you are more likely to get hurt within built up areas and under 125cc are mainly used for the daily commute.

Reply to this Topic
andywhit

Aug 10

andywhit says:

High-vis. Bikers, do the following

All MCN riders and bikers should either take the following actions or send their licence back to Swansea!

1. Sign the HM Government e-petition: "Against EU Member States Introducing Mandatory High Visibility Clothing For Motorcyclists".

2. Don't have your biking holiday in France. We were planning on going to France this year, 2012. Not now, we are now planning to go to the Netherlands and Germany.

Tourism is a big business in France. Can any country / government, however stupid, afford to loose jobs in the present economic climate?

Reply to this Topic
smilo996

Nov 08

smilo996 says:

Fluroescent onions, green, cheap and organic!

1. Where is the e-petition to sign?

2. Now this is a grumpy old man comment but when I was young there was the green cross code, cycling proficiency test and think once think twice think bike campaigns and public information films. I was really proud to have taken my cycling test. Where did all that go? Occasionally I see a think bike sign with a bike at 45 degrees to the road (presents a good image) and that is about it.

3. The UK car driving test is still a joke compared to other countries. No skid pan, no night driving and no driving on motorways are included. Retest after 15 or 20 years?

4. As one of the other blokes said why does wearing green help. Reflective gear yes. But having said that in Londion for example, there are so many cyclists dressed up like reflective christmas trees for fear of getting knocked over but they still do. Educating the road going public in general about awarenes for other road users seems paramount from the pedestrian up. Again in Scando (I know they are so liberal and clever) but if a cyclist runs over a pedestrian the onus is on the cyclist to prove he did not do it. and so it goes up the chain, the weaker party gets the benefit of the doubt. Most cyclists there for example have 2 lights and a helmet and it is as busy as London though smaller. Drivers are taught when doing theiir driving test to specifically watch out for other road users and how to. 

Anyway French Plice willl ikely turn a blind eye to French people without it and as usual have a jamboree with foreign riders who have forgotten. 

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

French

Before we continue knocking the French and trying to damage their economy, let's not forget it's their politicians who are proposing this, not the average man in the street. I'm sure french bikers are 100% with us on this misguided piece of legislation.

Reply to this Topic
andywhit

Aug 10

andywhit says:

High-vis petition - all bikers.

To find the e-petition. Type into your search engine (google, yahoo or whatever) "HM epetition". This opens up a government website. Type in "Against EU Member States Introducing Mandatory High Visibility Clothing For Motorcyclists". You can then get into the petition, and sign it.

Reply to this Topic
foxtrotter

Feb 10

foxtrotter says:

Hi Vis - Size

Interesting that articles on this subject show riders in full Hi Viz gear.  At 150 sq cm the H belt would comply as would Hi Viz straps on rucksack eg each strap 5cm x 20cm total 200cm.  So no need no spend a fortune if  you decide to holiday in France - I certainly wouldn't cancel. I've signed the petition in the UK.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

Petition

I have just signed the petition and would urge all readers, and anyone else who will listen, to sign it.

We need 100,000 signatures for the gov to take any notice. At the moment, there are only 2799! A long way off. It only takes a few minutes.

Do it now before the fashion police get you.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices