Skip to content

Ask an Expert Passing Button? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Passing Button?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Passing Button?

Just noticed a new button i didn't know existed on my bike.  Checked the user manual and its a passing button that puts the main beam on while you hold it to "indicate to drivers that you are going to overtake"

Does anyone actually use these?  I was getting my hopes up and thinking its some kind of batman nitrous button for "passing" cars.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 January 2012 23:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

PASS button

My pass button also operates the N2O system :biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Pointless Button

Its a bit pointless then really.  Its like a headlight flash on a car stalk.  I did use it today now I know its there to let the wanker in the BMW on his phone know that he should look behind him and stop wobbling about all over the shop.  But then the N20 kicked in like eatcs01 and the BMW was no more :)

I honestly thought "passing" would be like a overdrive or something :)  Stupid Me...

It was a good idea though.  

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

My Aprilia did have a "Push to Pass" button.

Somebody had wired it up to the powervalve - press the button, open the power valve.

Instant double the brake horsepower.

Which meant I was technically riding without a licence while the button was in operation.

It was promptly disconnected.

Reply to this Topic
ragnar1

Oct 03

ragnar1 says:

Flashing

@ flookyk. In the UK a flash of the lights DOES NOT mean you can come out. it means I AM HERE

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Just like

the horn does not mean FOOKING LOOK BEFORE PULLING OUT!!, it technically means 'I am here' yeah right, ever been in traffic, everyone lets you know they are there.

Lights mean you go... they just do.

Reply to this Topic
winter048

Feb 12

winter048 says:

agreed

Whilst the highway code may state textbook definitions of horns and lights as a signal saying"i am here" we all know this is not what they mean in reality. I use the pass light occasionally if i am letting someone out.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Flashing the Lights

This is something I used to do to indicate to others I was letting them out even though I knew that I shouldn't.

Now, If I let someone out then it's my actions that do the indicating, not my lights. This is because I can't garantee that because I will let someone go before me that others will do so.

As for flashing to say 'I'm passing', if you have to do this then chance are you shouldn't be overtaking.

What would happen if you did flash to say you were passing and a driver misunderstood the reason?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

@ragnar1

Yup but its not used like its meant to be used here in the UK.

Reply to this Topic
macca59

Apr 10

macca59 says:

Passing switch.

I have used my so called passing switch to tell other driver's coming toward's me at night that their headlamp's are still on high beam and i cant see the b****dy road in front of me. They are so cocooned in their box on wheel's, listening to music and talking on mobile phone's, totally oblivious to anything else around them.

Reply to this Topic
Gadget01

Apr 12

Gadget01 says:

Passing Button

I totally agree.

I use mine as I would in a car. As you said this is dangerous to use just before over taking. In this country a flash of head lights means: Go in front or after you or even Thanks for waiting. A car driver would look in his mirror and wounder what you were flashing at, he might even slow or brake and if you are accelerating to over take.......?:shock:
Just make sure it's safe and get passed...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices