Skip to content

Ask an Expert CBR1000RR Buying Advice Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > CBR1000RR Buying Advice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

CBR1000RR Buying Advice

Im really tempted to buy a 2008 cbr1000rr in the next week or two but im concerned about this oil burning issue :doubt:. I have seen a few comments on various sites saying its normal for blades to burn up to a litre of oil per 1000miles.  I currently ride a 2007 Z750 and never have to check the oil cause i know every time i service it there is no problem. It only has 50000km and never needs oil top ups between services.

My point being im not sure i want a bike i need to be topping up with oil every couple of miles... so is it true that all CBR1000RR's 2008 are oil burners ?? Any advice would be appreciated :wink: .. Thanks..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 January 2012 16:21)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

ERP30

Yes they get threw oil quite quickly,however its a fantastic bike and you will not be disappointed with it.All bikes have at lest one issue with them.Buy the Fire Blade.:biggrin:Then let me know how you got on.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil

You should be ok if you carry an oil tank with you.

Them days have gone.:smile

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Fireblade Buying Advise.

Get one. You wont regret it, they handle well and i get between 46-56 mpg depending on riding style.

Oil consumption, Mine uses no oil for the first 2,000 miles after an oil & filter change and then only needs a splash now and then.Less than 200ml per 1000 miles i would say.My 4th Blade and the best so far.Castrol GPS 10-30W is what Honda recommend.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Blade oil

IK'd go for it too, not all of them burn it like that and you can see evidence of it around the exhaust pipe, so if you think the one you are looking at is a bit thirsty, you can always move on to the next one. These engines are high-performance, so it is par for the course, but some are worse than others, often because they haven't been rideen hard enough in the first few mles to make a good piston ring seal.....

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

A Big Thank You To All

:biggrin: Thanks guys much appreciated ... My mind is warped with choices :wacko:..

A) take a Blade 2008 Black and white beauty with only 20000km and have money left in my wages every month but be a little concerned about oil and engine ware...
B) Go for a brand new ZX10R but be a little tight for cash and have to wait till May but not have to worry about oil top ups ..
I think i will go for the Blade cause im getting hyper about owning my first 1000cc and want it before January ends.. Ill be 36 by then and think i deserve it...Insurance is less than €80 a year to change...I will try not to bore Ya's and keep the post going.. With pics of course.. Below is my Z and a picture off Bikepics of what i could have... 

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Erp30

A picture of My baby and its the best bike ive ever owned.:biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

@ aehewitt

:wink: thats a fine beast you have ... thats what id like in the next few weeks...:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

ERP30

Have we convinced you to get the Blade yet.I wouldn't bother with any of the others.If this is your first 1000cc your going to love it.What a machine smooth,stable and it does 97mph in first gear....Oh yeah bring it on.:wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

@ aehewitt

I called into my local dealer on sat and he made the zx10r sound sweet and tempting to me.. sales guys are good at this sort of thing.. So i have decided to wait the two months and get the zx10r ... It will probably be the longest two months of my life but i think ill be happy at the end...:biggrin:... have to say i really do like the cbr1000rr but my head would be wrecked thinking about oil burning ...

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

ERP30

Zx10r is a good bike and i hope you have lots of fun on it.The waiting is always the worst bit.Please post a few pics when you get it.    Ash.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices