Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ferrntastic

Dec 11

Ferrntastic says:

Newbie - No idea what to buy

Hi everyone,

I will hopefully pass my test on the 26th Jan so i’m pretty new to bikes. I have just bought a GSXR 600 K1 (Blue and white) and a shark s900 helmet. I’m after a little bit of advice on which jacket / jeans / boots / gloves to buy.

The jacket and jeans which have caught my eye are the RST ventilator 3, are they any good? I think i prefer textiles rather than leather (it’s also slightly cheaper). I will generally only go out in fair weather, as i don’t plan on getting wet.

No idea on boots or gloves, but i was thinking of keeping to RST, but only so it matches.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Ferrntastic:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 January 2012 21:38)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

gear

Welcome Ferrntastic,from an old hand try them on in a bike shop/s simulating the riding position,take note of make/size and then buy on e-bay.

A lot of bikegear shops advertise good  offers on e-bay as well.  

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

bike gear

hi pal ,as jaffa said but to add to that try loads of stuff on and keep it on for a bit dont worry if ya feel a twat poncing about the shop in boots , gloves ,etc just take ya time and make sure it fits right so you arent distracted while riding , oh and good luck with test

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Recommended Gear

if you're going to be a fairweather biker i'd reccomend leather 100%

I wear a leather jacket 100% of the time and jeans most of the time replaced by full leather suit over long distances or leisure rides.

keep some thin waterproofs from a camping shop wrapped up under your seat in case you get caught in a shower. (they take up as much space as a wallet if you fold them carefully) 

I've crashed in leathers and textiles. the textiles ripped through 3 layers of fabric right through to my jeans and the leathers got a tiny bit scratched even though i was going faster.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

cyclonite

has a lot more experience of crashing than me, so best listen to the young 'un if you want to know about protection...

Good quality breathable, e.g. Goretex, textiles are best if your going to be far from home and it might well rain (or even snow, in April!) - i.e. UK friendly - but after buying them your wallet mightn't be as fat as folded up waterproofs.

Leathers tend to be better ventilated, cooler, comfier and more protective, mandatory for track days, but not even remotely waterproof (except Proshell).  I ride all year and my leathers get a lot less use than my textiles, but there are a few days, sometimes weeks, each year when even leathers are barely tolerable heat wise, even up North.

A lot of riders mix it up, e.g. textile jacket, leather trousers.

In the peak of summer only short sleeved shirts are cool enough for Parisian Gendarmes...

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Need

a budget before I can give any useful advice as it's all about the best for your money.

Have a gander at the back of ride magazine where they list the results of their product tests.

There are textiles that are better than leather and there is leather which is better than textile. I would trust my £750 textile jacket over a £100 leather one whilst going down the road any day of the week but Cylonite has a point in that cheap textiles aren't as good at resisting abrasion, so if you go textile you should spend a little more. If you're a road rider, the odds are you won't need something that will slide for a mile - you usually hit something quite quickly.

Also, take people comparing how things come out of crashes with a big grain silo full of salt as it all depends on the speed, the aggregate the road surface is made up of, the manner of the crash, the distance traveled and so on. Proper reviews will subject clothing to standardised tests so they can be properly compared - this is what Ride magazine does.

Reply to this Topic
Ferrntastic

Dec 11

Ferrntastic says:

Gear

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have decided to go with the RST ventilator 3 jacket and jeans to start with. I will then go to the shops to find the right size 1 peice, then get on the bay. I didnt know that leathers are mandatory for track days so thanks for that advice.

All the best Ferrntastic

(i'm sure there will be more basic questions to follow :smile)

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

I second trying on

I second trying stuff on.  My current kit fitted bang on with the old YBR with its sit up position.  Now with my new bike the ZZR has a more sportier lean position which makes my jacket rise up a bit and i've a cold whaft up my back a bit so i've had to zip the coat into the trousers.

I think i'm going to get a longer jacket and try it on a sports bike in my local J&S to get the right fit / size then scour the internet before parting with cash.

All brands fit differently.  E.G i've been using XL race gloves until about two weeks ago and I can get my hands in a M goretex glove.

Strange...  Take your time and make sure its comfy because you don't want to buy twice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices