Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Scottish crew

Quick survey

Do you want to get divorced, or not ?

When I’m asked, I say I’m British, I don’t say English. Personally, I’d think it would be a shame if it came to it.

But you guys must do what’s best for you.

I had a look on the SNP website, and I couldn’t see anything about the EU.

This is my advice – If you can escape the EU by splitting with the rest of us, I think you’ll do very well. Might even join you if, if you’ll have me.

If your new government is going to apply to the EU, and by extension, the Euro, I’m sure they’ll insist, then don’t even think about it.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 January 2012 12:52)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

That

was hard work ! Haven't you got anything shorter?

The thing, as I keep saying, with growth, as the government refers to it, it is an increase in GDP
This is essentially, an increase in spending, and therefore, quite often, a bad thing.
The government could borrow a load of cash, pay someone to buy as many lap tops as they could get hold of, then pay someone else to distribute them to every household.
The GDP would go through the roof, and the government would call it growth.

So, as I said before, if most of the growth (in Scotland) is government spending, then Scotland couldn't afford to go it alone.

If they did go it alone, didn't enter the EU, took control of their borders, sorted out the welfare system, gave tax incentives to attract businesses, and shrunk the public sector down to size, then eventually, they may end up with an economy approaching the likes of Norway.
But it would be painful to start with.
If they did the opposite, they'll end up like Ireland, at best.

As for the oil. Well, it won't last forever.

I imagine if the rigs are in Scottish waters, then the Scottish government will be responsible for defence, law and taxation.

That said. They won't own the rigs. What I mean is, Tesco probably own a few shops in Scotland. They won't become government property, if the UK splits up.

I can't see a separation deal being reached, whereby the Scottish government could treat BP, the way the Russian government has. Not this government anyway.

To conclude, I really don't see it happening.

Reply to this Topic
thebigpicture

Apr 11

Scotland

Here's what they need to do (as all other nations) let Government issue money not the Banks, government issues/creates its own money = no sovereign debt ever again, its so simple.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Mankind

'To conclude, I really don't see it happening'

I agree, but not because Scotland couldn't afford it (the analysis in the BBC link shows they could).... but more because I think the majority of Scots don't really want it. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Mannakin

Sep 10

Mannakin says:

devolution

As a Scot living in England (but working in Edinburgh at the moment!) with English born children and family still living in Scotland, I won't actually get a vote on this.

I think full independence would be costly to achieve and would throw up so many issues that would be difficult to resolve, balanced against what great benefit?

I can't see the majority of Scots voting for this and I think it wouldn't benefit Scotland. I think a little more devolution of powers from Westminster to Edinburgh wouldn't be a bad thing as the Scottish parliament doesn't seem to be doing a bad job. 

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Kam / Vulc 1/2

England wanted the union for defence, specifically invasion from the north by a Scottish / French army. I don't believe it's so much of an issue now.

The Scots wanted the union 'cos they were bankrupt after their American endeavours. I don't think they're that much better off now.

I'm sure you could find numerous analysis's on the net, showing Scotland could, and could not, afford to go it alone.

My opinion is as before, it depends. They certainly couldn't carry on the way they are now, and stay solvent. Actually, that applies to England too, but to a lesser degree.

As for Scottish choice, well, I'd like to think so. In reality, if it could be demonstrated that they'd be better off going it alone, then that's what I believe they'd do.

Along these lines:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/05/scottish-voters-united-kingdom_n_1128867.html

Again, I'm sure there are lots of surveys saying the opposite, I don't take this as a cast iron fact either, it's just my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Kam / Vulc 2/2

The SNP, I understand, now the question of a referendum is live, want a 3rd choice - devo max.

Why would they do that ? They either want to go it alone, or they don't. Very strange for a party who's sole aim, it seems, is independance.

I suspect, that independance isn't really what they're after, and the only reason for that would be, is it would be unworkable. I suspect they want things as they are now, good jobs for them, and obtaining benefits for the Scots, which are not available in England, and splitting the bill.

UKIP are well known for wanting to ditch the EU. Go on their web site. You can find their specific policy on pretty much everything.

Then go on SNP's website, and try and find out their views on anything other than independance. You'll see what I'm talking about.

There doesn't seem to be much of a specific plan.

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Following on 1

From my earlier post. My understanding is

Scottish Parliament

Lab 46

Lib 16

SNP 47

Con 17

Green 2

This tells me that Scots feel they trust the SNP to get the best deal for them.

The best deal is one where you get more, and the other party gets less. In other words, you get some, of someone else’s cash.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mankind

Mar 09

Mankind says:

Following on 2

Scottish MPs in Westminster

Lab 41

Lib 11

SNP 6

Con 1 sitting on his own, on the train back north I imagine.

This tells me, that the Scots don’t want independence. The reason for this, I believe, is they feel they would be worse off.

However, what I don’t understand is, why the Tories are set against a split.

Reportedly, Scotland is subsidised to the tune of £10 Billion a year. If this is true, then it would explain (the above).

But, if it is true, and Scotland put 41 Labour seats in Westminster, then why isn’t DC all for it ?

Perhaps it’s not true. Perhaps we’re all being conned, and it’s actually the other way around.

Perhaps DC is all for it, but he’s pretending he’s not, whist subtly trying to wind the Scots up, the scallywag

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices