Skip to content

Ask an Expert Scam? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Scam?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DannyDoesQuotes

Aug 11

Scam?

Ok, I am looking to buy the Yamaha r125 but the place I am going to tomorrow has one that looks different on one side than the other, as in the front side panel has a slightly different paint job, should I now trust this company as it could mean it has been crashed??? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 06:41)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

If the paint or decals on one side are different to the other then obviously something has been changed. What you need to find out is why.

Best thing to do is ask them why it is in that condition. By law, if they know the real reason, then they have to tell you. If they are reputable, and know the facts then they should not mislead you. You would be able to pull them up on that at a later date if you found out anything else.

There are many reasons why it could be like that. 125's are generally a first bike, and therefore mistakes can be made whilst riding or manouvering. It is possible it could have been dropped at a standstill and only the part in question was damaged, then replaced. But also, yes, it could have been crashed, so be wary and look for other damage.

Question is, if the bike has obviously had some sort of damage in the past, is it reflected in the price you are paying for it? If not, then why worry yourself about what has happened to it. Find another one, move on and leave it there.

I had something like this done to me on a £6,500 GSXR750.... Its not nice when the doubts start to creep in.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

buying

personally, I would walk away and find another..i made sure my zzr was 100% before I parted with the cash,,:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
DannyDoesQuotes

Aug 11

thank you

Yeah ia m just going to save up a little more money and go to P AND H which are extremely trustworthy and just gotta wait until they get one in stock, also, another quick question, for a 125, (the yamaha r125) are textiles good i already have a pair, but dont know whether leathers are too much? thanks you two!

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Danny

I did a google search on that shop, and they seem to have a good reputation tbh. They have been trading for over 80 years. And I couldnt find anything negative about them.

You may get a reasonable answer if you ask them why the panels are different. but like I said, if its not reflected in the cost, you may want to look at one you are happy with.
Textiles with armour are plenty good enough for the relatively slower speeds on a 125. Leather will always offer more protection though.

Reply to this Topic
souroush

Nov 11

souroush says:

Alf's

I have done business with P&H before  they are OK but they have not been always helpful. The best dealer I have seen so far is the Alf's in Worthing. Might worth paying them a visit. they are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If the panels are different

it'd be a good idea to go over it with a fine toothed comb. If you aren't sure about bikes, take a mate with you.

As there's obvious damage, an HPI check may be a good idea, to see if its been written off due to damage.

Is there any other damage (bent pegs / gear lever / brake pedal / brake or clutch levers etc)?

Reply to this Topic
DannyDoesQuotes

Aug 11

Thanks

Thanks people for all your advice it turned out that they didn't have the full service history or anything, but on the plus side I have put a deposit down and getting a brand new Yamaha r125 from p and h in 3 weeks :) 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices