Skip to content

Discuss This France bans sat navs with speed camera warnings General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > France bans sat navs with speed camera warnings

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

France bans sat navs with speed camera warnings

Sat navs and smart phones which warn of speed camera locations have been banned in France. Offenders face a fine of €1500 (£1237). Sat nav manufacturers are advising customers to switch off the speed camera warning function while in France. The ban, introduced on January 4, has been branded unenforceable by critics who say police will not be able to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 10:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
colinS2R

Mar 06

colinS2R says:

ridiculous

Reply to this Topic
luxybob

Sep 10

luxybob says:

Maybe a bit to dramatic

Whilst it correct that the use of radar warning devices is subject to a fine of €1500 and 6 points, these being devices that calculate the proximity of the radar camera and the vehicle. The manufacturers have a way round it in terms of advertising warning areas:

"Through a protocol signed with the Ministry of the Interior, July 28, 2011, manufacturers have pledged not to report the location of fixed and mobile radars, or other road control devices. The number of identified hazard areas will be far higher than the number of radars to encourage motorists to moderate their average speed."

So, you may find that maps of France no longer show cameras but rather have loads of hazard areas (as per the article).

Also, there are still going to be warning signs up prior to the fixed cameras, the old ones showing the camera image are being replaced with a sign indicating what speed you are going at, so if you see these then check your speed.

Anyway, hows it going to be enforced, if you are stopped, nope only hazard areas on this mate.

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

It's a device to tell you about the police with the camera on a tripod that you need,I'm about as bothered about setting cameras off in France as the French are over here,they'll sort a system out in the end,but thats years off,cuz it's all about making money not enforcing the law.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

As with all 'Speed Camera's'  (scamera's) its a money making venture, no matter which country you care to mention, if sat nav users receive prior warning and slow down, the French state is losing revenue, not good news for them, hence this ban, nothing to do with safety.

Reply to this Topic
blah

Jun 10

blah says:

Seriously? Who cares. Just ignore it. It's unenforcable.

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

I don't need a reason to avoid France but they have given me 2 in a couple of weeks with the hi-vis thing. It'll be Dunkirk and turn left for me now......

Reply to this Topic
trogan4

Jan 09

trogan4 says:

They just don't want us too go there!

My Garmin 660 has all of these features and true I very rearly use them but the police wont know that!

the planned routes & pointsof interest will cause problems over there so may bee I wont go anymore!

Wwhy should I have to think along these lines instead ofenjoying the rides over there I'll be constantly watching the speedetc all  for thier revenue!

Trogan....

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Makes the sacrifice of all those who liberated the French (twice) all the more pointless and unappreciated by those they helped.  Tip - ride in large groups, at high speed, and don't stop for them. They have absolutely no idea how to deal with that scenario. Wankers.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

interesting

Nice thinking france since every single sat nav has speed camera warnings installed on them. So what they are saying is they will fine anyone with a sat nav, im laughing so hard. France can kiss my ass if they think im taking my hard earned money and spending it there.

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

My Sat-nav doesn't have speed camera warnings, nor do I need them, don't speed, simple really! And do these people really think the French police care whether it is turned on or not, or that they can even prove you had one? Er, no, they'll just fine you at the roadside, no money or credit/debit card and they'll impound your vehicle!

I believe that in France just owning a device to warn of speed cameras has been illegal for many years, so even owning a sat-nav with such a device would be illegal.

I love France and always will, get away from the tourist areas in the north and especially Paris, and it's a fine place to holiday to!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices