Skip to content

Discuss This 147mph driver escapes jail... No surprises there then General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 147mph driver escapes jail... No surprises there then

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Doug Hyem  says:

147mph driver escapes jail... No surprises there then

A police sergeant who caught a pensioner driving a luxury car at 147mph on a bypass has described the incident as "the worst case of excessive speed I have ever seen in 26 years of policing". Company director Owen Swift, 68, was clocked travelling at more than twice the speed limit in his Jaguar XKR on the Malton bypass, in North...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 11:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

This isn"t a NEW thing , it has been going on since bikes became more popular &  was worse in the mods & rocker era . I remember my older brother  getting  stopped  in the early 60s on his Triumph Thunderbird for speeding  ,pleading "not guilty " and  fined  £ 90 + £10 costs [average wage then about £10 a week] while car drivers pulled at the same time fined  £ 5  or £ 10 . I was involved in a accident  while on holiday  on the East  coast  , a car "clipped" us on a bend ,resulting  in my pillion & me badly injured and  the  4 day old  bike a write-off  . At court the car  driver  pleaded not guilty  to driving without due care  & guilty  to no insurance , m.o.t.  and it not being roadworthy . BUT  they  pinched me for dangerous driving . The car driver produced two local witnesses to say we were doing "excessive " speed  ? . Anyway to cut a long story  , the  court  decided that it was  60% my fault  &  40%  the car driver"s , his excuse - he was driving the car [slowly] to the local scrapyard , what ! with his wife in the car . He got a  small fine for the missing documents and points , while I had a small fine , but a ban . Found out later the car driver was a retired magistrate  . We live and learn .

Reply to this Topic
RAS14

Jan 12

RAS14 says:

No one should recieve a custodial sentance for speeding alone. It is not a custodial offence for being convicted of speeding. It only becomes a custodial matter if there are other charges brought such as dangerous driving. If someone is caught on a quiet road with no other traffic in a vehicle being driven fast but well within its capabilities then it does not mean that it is dangerous.  It doesn't matter if it is a car or a bike. Most people reading this will exceed the speed limit on roads that they deem safe to do so. The police are far too quick to try and criminalise speeding by adding other charges which is why people receive custodial sentances. Apart from it being a great revenue earner it is also part of the "big brother" plan to make speeding socially unacceptable. In this case the driver was not charged with anything other than speeding. His occupation is of no relevence. Would people's opinion be any different if he was on a new and expensive bike??

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

custodial sentence

no one gets a custodial sentence for excess speed alone.

no biker has ever been imprisoned for excess speed.

the magistrates can only operate within the sentencing guidelines.

the fine will be based on his income and being a company director he probably has a low income but pays himself bonus's

if this was a biker most of you would be defending him

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

jail him...bikers jailed B4..

MCN has reported on many bikers in UK being given custodial sentences, most recent ZZR1100 guy with son on back jailed before that young hairdresser lad from Edinburgh jailed for 140ish mph on his Gixer near Biggar in Lothians/Lanarkshire. I also recall article in a bike mag where guy from Midlands jailed for excessive speed too.

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Of course the car driver doesn't get jail, don't you guys get it, he's a car driver, not a scum of the earth biker. That's why I gave up riding bikes on the UK roads; different punishments for different classes of people on the roads for the same kind of offence.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices