Skip to content

Discuss This Details of new licence regime confirmed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Details of new licence regime confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Details of new licence regime confirmed

Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.  The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 17:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Airsnark

Sep 11

Airsnark says:

new licencing

so what if you have already passed your test but are still within one of the age categories stated when this is implemented, do you have to change to these rules or do you get to carry on in the old way?

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Small Businesses!

So where do trainig schools come into this? they'll need to invest in 2 lots of bikes - over 395cc and between 33bhp and 47bhp for up to 24yr olds and over 595cc for over 24 year olds... i can see a few small businesses are going to struggle here. does the government care? small businesses are already struggling...

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

EU Dictatorship

It has always been the EU dictatorships goal to legislate bikes off the road. They believe that the pretext of safety allows them to implement whatever bigotted rules they want. Part of the EU has currently said that anti bike legislation is bordering on targetted discrimination.

Reply to this Topic
shrewsred

Dec 10

shrewsred says:

I have it confirmed today in writing from DVLA that if my son takes his test at age 17 in Dec 2012 then he will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years and then allowed to ride an unrestricted machine thereafter regardless of any rule change that may come in during Jan 2013.

I'm just praying for decent weather and a bit of good luck for him. Be a shame if he messes up and can't get a re-test until late Jan or Feb 2013 after the rule change.

Suspect there may be a rush of test applications for this year.

Whilst my son, and many others, may pass under current rules this year and progress as per current rules, I foresee lots of hassle from police etc in the future as they won't fully understand the situation and entitlement to ride.

Reply to this Topic
donkey93

Apr 11

donkey93 says:

further training

what is involved in the further/additional training? why are they clamping down on bikes even more what about restricting young or inexperienced car drives

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

And that....

....is how you ban motorcycling via the back door.

Reply to this Topic
exportmanuk

Feb 11

exportmanuk says:

So what about car drivers? Is it still at 17 you can pass your car and if you have the money drive a super car the same day? Why are motorcyclists being singled out the KSI for all vehicles are appalling for the under 25s

Reply to this Topic
CurlyBlakey

Aug 11

CurlyBlakey says:

I passed this year

What does this mean for me? i assume the rules i passed under apply to me?

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

The End. Nice sharing the roads with you.

In 6 years there will be no one new, 10 years only the old guard, 20...

What point is there in getting a licence now?

The funny thing is the DSA have recognised since 2006 that this would mean no more tests at 17 - why bother taking three tests, at possibly several thousand pounds in total, when car test and lessons is 200 odd quid, and eventually, you can find a insurance quote which is alright.

I'm going to buy another stroker, stock up on kneesliders and figure out how to wheelie a little commuter.

And then lose my licence probably, giving my bikes a heroic send off.

We shouldn't be stopping young people ride, and this will.

I thought when I started riding that this was the best thing I ever did. Now?

...Its the final countdown...

Reply to this Topic
lgoldup

Sep 11

lgoldup says:

33BHP?

So there's no more 33BHP license? Shit! Now I have to wait until I'm 19 to get a 33-47BHP bike. Bullshit!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices