Skip to content

Discuss This Details of new licence regime confirmed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Details of new licence regime confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Details of new licence regime confirmed

Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.  The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 17:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
salex1066

Jan 12

salex1066 says:

The only light at the end of this tunnel is if they apply similar rules to car drivers.  Somehow I doubt this very much, just no common sense in the DSA.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

IT'S ABOUT LEGISLATING BIKES OFF THE ROAD, not SAFETY

A great many of your are missing the fundamental pretext of this change.

THIS LEGISLATION IS ABOUT REMOVING MOTORCYCLIST FROM THE ROAD. The EU can wrap it up with any politically correct wording they choose but it is about DESTROYING THE BIKE INDUSTRY FOREVER BY STOPPING NEW BLOOD EVER TAKING UP BIKING.

Many bike manufacturers aren't too bothered cos emerging markets in south east asia will make up for lost sales from europe.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
speedy231278

Jun 10

speedy231278 says:

Think about all the extra VAT the goverment will be making on the cost of all this training.  Meanwhile, anyone with enough money at 17 can pass their car test with a single test, and then buy a 400BHP Porsche and wrap it around the nearest tree.  About time someone started thinking about staged licences and 'direct access' for car drivers, isn't it?

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Theres the problem - they won't.

Speedy - 3 CBT's is 300 quid ish. plus 600 quid for DAS.

1 CBT, plus 3 tests and the required training is 1600 plus.

If you want a big bike, you'll wait, and save a lot of money.

No one will do the graduated tests, and the whole thing will discourage riding, so there will be much less tax going in.

plus, less money is getting spent by the people who would have taken up riding, meaning dealers et al. might go bust, certainly making less than they could.

They also lose fuel duty and vat on petrol, as compulsory two years on 125's means more mpg, as the bigger bikes that you would have under 33bhp rules are less fuel efficient than little 4 stroke 125's.

Reply to this Topic
MSheppard32

Nov 11

MSheppard32 says:

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the current situation I'm in after finding out about this new license. I passed my A2 license in December 2011, this currently means I will spend the next 2 years restricted to 33bhp, but I won't reach the age of 19 before this new rule comes in (if it does) So does this mean I will be able to ride a 33bhp machine until the law comes in, then have to downsize to a 125cc? or will I be exempt from this?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Welcome to 2004

Which was the time to get angry about this.  It was a done deal in 2006, and the last chance to have any input was in the DfT's consultation in 2010.

Our (proposed and still not final, now a full year overdue) implementation is actually pretty generous and ignores some strict interpretations of 2006/126/EC.  We're retaining solo L riding, are (probably) giving "direct access" to A2 at 19 (naughty naughty), and are allowing sensible leeway under the 400/600cc limits to take into account that bikes tend to be a few ccs under their 'marketing' capacity.

Some crib notes based on that being the final position:

Any current entitlement that you have WILL NOT be removed or downgraded.  This is a condition of 2006/126/EC and the DfT have confirmed it.  If you have A, you keep A.  If you have A <= 25kW, it will upgrade automatically.  So sit a test, any test, this year.

Yes, the new A1 will be as pointless as the current one, unless you're desperate to lose the L plates, take pillion candy or get on the motorway.  Just wait until 19 and do A2.

The current 25kW limit is sporadically enforced and barely understood by Plod and insurers, and there's no reason to believe that the new 35kW limit will be any different, especially during the 2 years when they'll overlap.  In practice, A2 might be the only license you'll ever really *need* to get, wink wink.

Yes, it'll gut the remaining market for 250s.  If you have to use a 500cc+ ~35kW bike to get your license, why would you step back down to a 25kW 250?  Flog your Ninja 250s now while you still can.

It's critical whether new A2 test bikes will simply need to be over 400cc and 25kW, or whether they'll need to be strictly in the 25 - 35kW range.  In the former case, then training schools will just use their full power bikes for both A and A2, and you'll get to sit exactly the same test on exactly the same bike again in another 2 years, if you feel the need (i.e. the restrictors haven't already "fallen out" of your "35kW" bike).  If the 35kW upper limit is enforced on test bikes, then training schools will have to run 2 fleets of bikes, pretty much the last thing that they need.

I'm not predicting the end of biking just yet though.  Depending on how the exact implementation and (critically) the enforcement by Plod and insurers, then we might end up with an effective DAS at 19 instead of 21 - it could get more people onto bigger bikes sooner, the exact opposite of what those worthless worms in Brussels intended.  Of course, it could easily go the other way, with the total cost and hassle making it look like it's not worthwhile bothering, or people just waiting until 24 to do the new DAS.  I wouldn't fancy being an instructor at the moment, I can tell you that.

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

The result of this news...

Theory booked for 1st Feb... looking to do Mod 1 and Mod 2 after... only 11 and a half months left... and counting down :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
stefmeister

Jun 11

stefmeister says:

Spread the word

Do your DAS now!!!

Reply to this Topic
stefmeister

Jun 11

stefmeister says:

Spread the word

Do your DAS now!!!

Reply to this Topic
andywhit

Aug 10

andywhit says:

New licence regime confirmed

Why are they changing the system? I took my test on a 125 and spent two years restricted to 33bhp. It enabled me to buy a bigger bike, and learn how to ride it, and then had it de-restricted. I think this worked well. This should be a lesson to all of us. The bureaucrats will just keep coming up with more ideas on how to control our lives, and make it more boring. They need to create this rubbish to try and justify their job, which we as tax payers are paying for! We all need to be aware and sign petitions, send emails etc to try and stop this nonsense.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle