Skip to content

Discuss This Details of new licence regime confirmed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Details of new licence regime confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Details of new licence regime confirmed

Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.  The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 17:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Killing the biking industry

Yup this will be the last straw for bikers. How do they plan on compensating for the costly training? The training you wouldnt have to pay for in a car? If people cant get around easily then there will be no money for them to line their pockets. Cars will increase congestions , not to mention greenhouse gasses (which they are supposed to be aiming to reduce!). People should be more inclinedto ride due to the congestion and this is yet another bad decision by this government.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

freedom

I cannot believe the EU and anything get to say how we do things!!! wow freedom feels amazing doesnt it!

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Europe control!!

I think, as has been said, that Britain should get out of Europe fast, before all control is lost to the lazy, overpaid, do nothing, interfering bureaucrats sitting in Brussels with their big wage packets wondering what to think up next to justify their existence. This is a flawed law and blatantly unfair to bikers. Something has to be done to avoid this happening  but it may be too late. Just imagine how much worse it could have been if Britain had entered the euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for change. If people can stand up for their rights in other countries what's the problem in Britain? Ciao

Reply to this Topic
subarujohndeere

Nov 11

16 year olds

does this effect 16 year olds on a 50cc motorcuycle or scooter?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

CBRJGWRR

I aggree with your view. The old test system needs to come back too.Tests for motorbike are so expensive for the bike its barely worth going by your cbt until you are 21! If someone is stupid enough to do their test then buy a Hayabusa then i doubt they will last very long. Every biker i have spoken too and seen riding do not risk things. We would never think about speeding in a populated area. I know there ar epeople who DO do that but are there not people in cars who do exactly the same thing? Car drivers dont have to pay for 2 tests and they are subject to exactly the same driving conditions only a motorbike is more affected by the surface/weather conditions. But if someone cant tell that gravel is not to be trusted,  they shouldnt really be on the bike anyway!

tl;dr PURE EXPLOITATION!

Reply to this Topic
bob the builder

Feb 03

All these laws are killing biking in this country.

If they are doing this for bikers, young car drivers Must take the same sort of extreme tests.

You can pass your driving test and take daddy`s Jag, etc out onto the roads. totally dangerous for inexperienced young ones.

This country need to get out of the control of Brussels fat cats. load of fat tossers thinking up some things to keep themselves in a job. Out Now!!

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

What a stupid idea all this is, do they not realise that it's car drivers that are killing most of us, why not train THEM to drive properly rather than us?!

How can it be that a 17 year old can pass his car test, and then the very same day legally drive a Bugatti veyron? I suppose these people who make the rules only drive cars.

Reply to this Topic
Skinnyhulk

Mar 09

Skinnyhulk says:

RIP motorcycling. I do not see the justification for this even according to the stats about the peak being 17. Why don't they touch the car drivers. I have an interesting point to make though. Will the insurance costs for new motorcyclists drop due to the massively increased training required to pass the tests? I very much doubt it....

Reply to this Topic
greenturbobob

Nov 05

Bike manufactures

You would think the bike manufactures would have kicked off about this? I pity the poor sods who will be having to pay for all this extra training. I am not sure why it requires mores training when you increase BHP. The road hazards are still the same! Its called CARS!!!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Good

I think having people take extra traing to control more power is a brilliant idea.  I would drop the direct access thing though, to get unrestricted access people should need to go through all three steps.

And, of course, this should apply to all classes of vehicle.

More training should equal better drivers, after all.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices