Skip to content

Discuss This Details of new licence regime confirmed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Details of new licence regime confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Details of new licence regime confirmed

Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.  The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 17:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bob9t9

Dec 05

bob9t9 says:

So i'll start with the obvious. Will car drivers suffer the same fate? When will the government realise that a 18 year old in his Dad's 2 litre diesel rep mobile can still do 130+ and still crash into a load of other people or cars etc. The bike industry must be chuffed with this massive step backwards in getting people to ride. I see there's no mention of the super centres set up to help us all learn to ride at great expense......

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Blame Hollywood

While Hollywood’s creation of the image of the motorcyclist as a 1% MC member may sell a quarter of a million or so cruisers and 60’s retro bikes to well-off, middle age professionals who want to pretend to be bad boys a few summer weekends a year; it has done much to kill off the motorcycle as an option for everyday transportation, and fuel anti-motorcycle opinion among the general public. The behavior of the few who buy into this image only makes things worse, with their generation of excess noise with illegal exhaust system and generally unfriendly demeanor.

Meanwhile, the automobile, and particularly the SUV cause real carnage to more vulnerable road users, but everyone takes it for granted and hardly anyone complains about cager bloodshed.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

Guy Fawkes had the right idear

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

testing

"Will the insurance costs for new motorcyclists drop due to the massively increased training required to pass the tests? I very much doubt it...."

I think the insurance costs already say it all.  £380 a year to insure my megane diesel, £70 for my bandit

When I tried to get my ( then 17 year old) son added to the insurance on my old £350 cinquecento a while back, they wanted another £1000 as a named driver, and a whopping £4500 to put him as a named driver on the Laguna insurance, yet he can insure a cagiva mito in his own name for £220.

I do take the point about restricting the real menace on the roads,  why not staged licences for little fannies in imprezas.

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Licences

Another way for the Government to make more money to pay for the greedy bankers

Reply to this Topic
Noodles15uk

Feb 09

Noodles15uk says:

I agree with earlier posts, this is simply the beginning of banning bikes from the road, disguised as safety measures. I believe that in a lot of situations 125's are actually more dangerous due to the lack of power. Whats wrong with the 33bhp law? I rode a 33BHP bike for a while and it was no faster than a mates 2L TDCI ford. Are they going to start restricting 17 year olds to 1L cars? I doubt it.

Reply to this Topic
viaciofano

Nov 04

viaciofano says:

in the EU

I wonder if this is the same in outher eu countries. I would like to see training but on driving with real road skills not learning how to pass a test. Safer driving on the road is what is needed not more red tape vinnychoff

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

It isn't the end of the 250...

More a change of purpose.

Still the end of motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic
GasmanDan

Dec 10

GasmanDan says:

Dastardly campaign

. . . Madproffesor has hit the spot with this idea.  Its so devilishly cunning . . . it just might work.  Anyone here know Hammond???

Reply to this Topic
Simon88

Jan 12

Simon88 says:

Something tells me the UK Government simply want bikes off the road and are taking the easy option in doing this. When I done my bike test back in 2010, it took me 5 month and cost 900 Quid plus, end of the day at the moment not many 23 year's old can afford that, it's a shame really as it's such a fantastic thing to get into.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle