Skip to content

Discuss This Details of new licence regime confirmed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Details of new licence regime confirmed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Details of new licence regime confirmed

Details of a new motorcycle licence regime to be implemented next year have been confirmed by the Driving Standards Agency.  The new rules will limit all riders under 19 to 125cc machines and under-21s to 47bhp. Those aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine up to 125cc and 15bhp by taking a test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 January 2012 17:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AlexJS1

Sep 11

AlexJS1 says:

Bikers about to become rare?

Is it me, or are they just trying to push and force bikers into cars, your 17 years old, you have to do a CBT, so many hours off training, your off road test (part one) then your second test on the road. At last those L plates off. now im restricted to a 125, for 2 years, then when that finishes your 19, you jump on a 400cc and do yet more training on a bigger bike and then do your off road basic manouvers, then your on road part off your test. Congratulations you've passed, now wait 2 years on a 50BHP bike till your 21 at which point you go for further training on anything over 600cc do your basic playground stuff once more, and then do your on road test. Well done, youve passed you can now ride anything you like, however you've just spent all the money you would have bought the bike with n doing your test. If i remember correctly the first part cost me £17 and the second was £78....training was around £20 an hour so put it all together and the length off time you have to do it over lets face it, who's going to be motivated? not many people. Alternatively you can jump in any car with any engine you like the day you pass your car test. And its not up to any kind off standard the bike test is. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Reply to this Topic
dropdeadfred

Jul 04

dropdeadfred says:

Makes me sick!

What a load of old balls this is, you've got to go through all this crap and expense just to ride a larger bike. Yet if you're minted you can pass ya car test at 17 and drive round in a bloody Ferrari! I know very few can afford this, but hey hey many 17yr olds could afford to buy and run and Duke or R1?

Tossers!

DDF

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Maybe we'd have more new bikers if we knocked off the moaning and pointed out that training and tests are a lifelong investment, and that no matter how much you spend on them, it'll still be less than your first year's insurance on a 1 litre Micra, which is just money down the drain.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Surely it would be better for the "expense claim fiddlers", or Parliament, to encourage the use of bikes? They take up less space on the road, thereby helping to reduce congestion; they do less damage to the road surface, thereby reducing repair bills; they pollute less and are generally more fuel efficient, thereby reducing strain on the planet's resources; all in all, bikes are a more viable transport proposition, yet it seems that politicians both in the UK and EU are hell bent on ridding the roads of them. As a group, we should now be taking an active part in protecting that which we love. I have today written to my MP and MEP with my views and would encourage you to do the same. Remember, most of us have a vote, which also gives us a voice. For myself, I will NOT roll over without a fight; I love biking too much and have done for very many years. Ladies and gentlemen - it's time to make a stand!

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

How about..

Bring back 250's on L-plates, like how it used to be, and leave the test as is, except including an advanced riding course for a insurance discount, or similar.

(Insurance can be silly money even with 125's.)

Reply to this Topic
daveg208

Jan 04

daveg208 says:

good Comments - but ....

Lots of good comments / ideas here. but has anyone written to their MP about it ? How about their MEP ? No ? Thought not. As long as we keep whingeing and whining and not actually taking the time to DO anything about it the government WILL keep shafting us. Why ? Simples - we are an easy target that does not fight back, does not pester them and basically we roll over and take everything they throw at us. Don't act surprised in 10 years time when you are riding a 125 with a high vis vest and silent pipes that is 100% manufacturer original. Because YOU let it happen. If every comment on this and other forums had an followup email/letter to the senders MP/MEP non of this legislation would happen. It's in your hands people.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Write to your MP?

It's true, I haven't written to my MP (whoever that is).

The "17-year-old in a Ferrari" argument isn't valid because cars are stable and bikes aren't.

I'd like to know whether the motorcycle industry is actively opposing this legislation. They have more clout than us.

If you're going to write to your MP don't just say. "Stop the changes," say why you oppose them and what you'd favour instead. My earlier post tried to prompt discussion but no one's taken the bait. Without ideas of our own we'll get what we're given.

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

Why not?

I am 20 and ride a Daytona 600 restricted to 33bhp. Personally i think that if you pass an A2 licence you should only be able to ride a 250cc with up to 33bhp. i think this because many people my age have bought a 600cc, had it restricted, realised the law is so badly policed, and removed the restrictor without ever getting noticed. Therefore i find the easiest way is to eliminate the issue altogether by making A2 licence holds ride no more than a 250cc. However this would mean that the jump from a 250cc with 33bhp to any motorcycle above 600cc with 100+bhp is too much. If anything a third stage should be added. After the 2 years on a restricted A2 licence why not make it a maximum of ANY cc but with an 80bhp restriction? Just a suggestion????

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

@matthewdaytona Got it in one. I think a lot of riders have realized that it's having the receipt for the restrictor that's more important than the restrictor itself. It's unlikely you will get into bother from plod for doing it that way. The problem will be your insurers, wreck the bike and the loss adjuster may well notice the absense of the restrictor. Remember insurers are very much in the business of looking for reasons to limit their losses. @James600zx The main reason the 17 year old in a Ferrari argument holds no water is that it's very unlikely to happen. A secondary reason is vulnerability. Despite what the road safety lobby may say what really does for so many inexperienced riders and drivers is not speed, it's acceleration. A fast bike will out accelerate a fast car, but can be had for a fraction of the price. Cars that can accelerate anywhere close to the performance of a superbike are rare and even used cost a lot of money. A fast bike can, however, be had for a tiny fraction of the price. For example you could have a fully taxed and tested Gixxer or Fartblood for under two grand. The same sort of money as a ten year old Corsa SRi. And of course when some twat in expensive trainers wraps his Corsa round a tree there's a good chance he will walk away. It's much more likely that were he on something like a Fartblood he would crash in the first place. It's much faster and, as you say, less stable than the car. And when he does hit the tree on his bike it is much more likely that he would be killed or seriously injured. There is no perceived problem of under twenty year olds being killed in high performance cars because there are so few under twenty years olds driving truly high performance cars. It seems that the new system is trying to artificially create a progression that occurs naturally in the four wheeled world due to simple financial reality. So what's the alternative? The problem is that nobody has come up with a viable alternative. In the world of government doing nothing about a perceived problem is never and option. Politicians like to be seen to be doing something. Civil servants like to create work for civil servants. So they have to do something, but so far nobody has come up with anything that can be proved to work. Japan have for long had much more stringent testing requirements and performance restrictions. Whether or not this works is hard to say because they have nothing to compare it with. Likewise the German system has been around for an age. I recall a friend buying a BMW R45 about thirty years ago and wondering why it was no faster than his old 250 Superdream. Turns out he'd bought a German spec bike with a pathetic 27bhp that was down to restrictions they had for newly qualified riders. Such systems are used as models by politicians and bureaucrats as models because they can't think of anything else. I doubt that the new system will achieve much. So the challenge is to think of a viablealternative system. If anybody can do it I'd be surprised.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle