You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Scottoilers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

Scottoilers

Yes or no.....? Currently use spray on lub and don't find it too much of a hassle but some like and some don't the scottoilers but I have never fitted /used one.....any good?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 January 2012 21:14)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Yes

Not a panacea, but almost, at least if you ride daily rain or shine

Just need to keep an eye on the chain to see it's just oily enough, turn up a little for salty rainy winter, refill every 1000-2000 miles (using fiver's worth of oil for 20,000 miles), periodically check, unblock and, if need be, perhaps every 10000 miles, replace the nozzles.  Much cheaper than sprays in the long run, easier than constant attention, and for me more effective.

For weekend riding I'd say no need whatsoever.

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

Oiler

I try to use my bike whenever I can in most weathers apart from the most extreme! Think it would be beneficial for me to get one .....are they easy to fit?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Fairly easy

For the VSYSTEM need to tap into a vacuum feed, so the oiler can turn itself on and off with the engine, but there are detailed instructions for most bikes on their website.

Need a suitable location for the reservoir, need to make sure the injector(s) are secure and stable, need to make sure the oil and vacuum pipes have safe clean runs.

Not sure the dual injector is really any better than the single injector - yes, it wets both sides of the sprocket, but as the injectors wear it's trickier keeping both clean and aligned, and if they're not in contact with the sprocket then the dual injector body can tip out a few cc of oil when parked on the side stand - not a big problem, but slightly messy.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Scottiolers

They're good, handy if you ride all year and if you don't like cleaning and oiling regularly.

There is a cheaper version in the TUTORO which just goes rather than using a vacuum system or electronics. Problem is you have to remember to turn it on and off. Upside is it's £20 and there's no hacking into tubes or electronics to mess with.

I preferred the scottoiler V-system but it costs more for the twin nozzle attachment than for the whole TUTURO system (which is a twin nozzle anyway). Scottoiler system is a hell of a lot better built.

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

Oilers

Thanks for the info guys

Reply to this Topic
banditsprint

Oct 08

banditsprint says:

Scottoiler is ace

Well worth it. Easy to install. Simple to use.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Spawn of the devil

Had 2 and will never have another one.

Chain wax makes far less mess in my experience.

Although current bike is belt driven :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices