Skip to content

General Best Restricted Middleweight? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Best Restricted Middleweight?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SupGuys

Jul 11

SupGuys says:

Best Restricted Middleweight?

Hey guys,

I'm taking my A2 course in a few weeks (theory done so far), and am looking to swap out my 2006 varadero for something a bit more fun...

I'm 18, 6'2 and will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.

I wont be commuting as such but may be making longish trips (2/3hours) every month - panniers are a must (plus I hate top boxes).

The old man in me says get a V-strom 650 or a Versys, but my inner child reckons that I'll get bored with it.
I prefer the look of naked bikes, but I question practicality and how I'd fit on them (I'm 6'2 and growing!)
Bikes in question:
Versys
V-Strom
ER6n
XJ6 
~FZ6 (2005ish)
Aprillia Pegaso
CBF 600N *2006/7 probly
CB 600 Hornet

Reality is my budget is around £3500, but that's alot of money to me and less would be better. I also would have to get it restricted and purchase panniers at a later date...

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 January 2012 12:27)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

The V-strom

isn't particularly dull imo. Reasonably lively, frugal, simple to maintain. Very capable with luggage.  Top box still allows filtering, panniers may not?

Try the SV 650.  Same engine as V-Strom but sportier look.  Loads about.

As you're going to restrict it, have a look at weights.  The heavier it is, the less oomph it'll have once restricted. If you're buying new on 0% finance they'll often put the kit on for very little, then you can buy something that will de-restrict well in a couple of years and you've still got a newish bike

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Can't speak from experience

But from what I have heard the Suzuki SV650s are cheap to ensure with kits on and they can be picked up from about £1000 online :)

Good luck with the test!!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

At age 18

it'd be a good idea to get accurate insurance quotes (inc with the panniers, because they'll likely be considered a modification by the insurance companies).

Everyone drops their first bike at some point - it'd be a good idea to factor in likely repair costs for this (replacing the damaged plastics on a faired machine could be eye-watering), but also the usual selection of levers, pegs etc.

You have the ER6n on your list - maybe the ER6f would have more of the practicality you're looking for?

As far as restriction goes, it affects different bikes in different ways: on some it barely makes a difference, on others, it really strangles it - probably twins like the ER6 / Versys will restrict better than a four-cylinder machine.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

stop p**ing about ...

and get a versys...or vstrom.The pegaso is good too but not many about and parts could  be problem. You'll be cramped on the others you mentioned.Choice of throw overs or hard luggage a plenty. I'd even go so far as to say,get a versys on interest free and save your money. You'll need it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SupGuys

Jul 11

SupGuys says:

Ok, so

... Versys vs Vstrom then?

I'd be looking at around 2007ish on both bikes, wouldn't bother with monthly payments on a new one.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

restricted

The only bikes i've personally restricted is a gpx250 and gpz500s. neither made much difference but the 500 twin definately felt quicker.

i have a curvy sv650s and was lurvly but when i got back on a 4 cylinder i didnt miss it.

You can really restrict any bike. so just find what you like and check it can be restricted. the restriction should be around £250 fitted which includes certificate

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle