Skip to content

General Mr.philehidiot Mr.stonysleet Mr.r6buz Mr.CBRJGWRR Please reply back and if anyone else can help out :D General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Mr.philehidiot Mr.stonysleet Mr.r6buz Mr.CBRJGWRR Please reply back and if anyone else can help out :D

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Mr.philehidiot Mr.stonysleet Mr.r6buz Mr.CBRJGWRR Please reply back and if anyone else can help out :D

*Hey guys, i would like to thank you for replying back to my message but for some reason i cant seem to reply back to you and it keeps giving me the same error message. I am going to walk away from it. Im twenty years old and i know i should be riding a geared bike but my confidence ain't that good with them right now but when i pass ill most probably get one in the end. Ive seen 3 bikes but not sure about them and i was hoping if you guys have the time to give me your opinion
1. Kawasaki BN
2. MH RX 50
3. Honda CBR125 
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CBR125R/2006/_/R-NXGN-2189342?mfy=11.048215 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 January 2012 23:09)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Error message

welcome to MCN's forum Vlad:wink:

You have the option of direct access and getting an unrestircted bike; but if confidence is an issue this may do more harm than good. Insurance will be, err, memorable too.

125s are great, but generally offer little that a 250 won't (other than learner legality). Don't know what your budget is but a Ninja 250 or CBR 250 (NOT the 80s/90s model!!!!) would be a wise choice. Insurance will be managable you can commute, get decent MPG, add hard or soft luggage, get decent speed up on roads for fun riding, overtake more safely and cope with motorways just fine.

I know all this because i graduated at 18 from my Yamaha SR125 to a Kawasaki GPX250 and did all my travelling by that bike - daily commute, fun, and regualr triangles from my parents in Middlesbrough, to Uni in Staffodshire, to girlfriend's in Essex. GPX did it all in its stride.

If you can't go new 250, look for decent used Ninja 250s or be picky about GPX or ZZR 250s (they'll be a little aged by now). Some dealers may have stock of "grey import" VT250s (like a Duke Monster). If you can find one, a decent ZZR or RF 400 could be an outside choice - not as big a step up as a CBR/GSXR/ZXR/VFR 400.

If you like cruisers - a Rebel 250 or Dragstar/Virago 250 may be just the bike for you...happy hunting

Reply to this Topic
princessvanvan

Jan 12

Geared bikes

Hi Vladmirzvik

My view is if ur feeling un confident on a geared bike but would like to get back into riding them i think a 125cc bike is the best starter bike! to learn on and gain experience without feeling too overwelmed with the size and power of a bigger bike its personal choice at the end of the day and what u feel comfortable on! I have just passed my CBT not long ago and i bought my self a 125 suzuki van van they are a great  fun bike and iam learning and gaining experience on it every day! and i think most 125 can keep up with traffic no bother as i have got top speed just over 60mph on it ! so not the fastest bike in the world but most 125 arnt! but i didnt get it for speed got it to learn on and gain experience untill i feel confident to go in for my big test! but i keep up with traffic myself no bother on it,and i had a look at the bikes u got on ur message and i would say go for a 125 over a 50cc and u cant go wrong with All the makes like Honda, Kawasaki, yamaha ybr are a good bike too ,suzuki etc etc  Go and explore and sit on a few see how u feel geared bikes are not that bad honest! i wish u luck in finding the right bike for u ! regards vv :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
r6buz

May 05

r6buz says:

Don't go for a 50cc, you'll only thrash it flat out & blow the engine. The honda link you posted gives me a page of results rather than one specific bike, so I don't know which one you are considering. Of the 3 I would definately go for the Honda.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Vladmir

If you decide to take your test on an automatic bike you will be beholden to automatic machines, you'll need to pass on a geared bike to be entitled ride a larger geared bike.

Contrary to what ANichol posted, you're Not entitled to do Direct Access, you've got to be 21 to do that at the moment and this is likely to be raised to 24 (could be higher though!) next year so get your test passed soon!! His suggestions about getting a 250 (as long as it adheres to the 33bhp rules) are certainly something to consider though

As for not being too confident, if you've got a little spare cash use it to get a lesson or two to build up your confidence on a geared bike.

Best wishes with it all & Have fun:smile

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I'm not too sure about twist and go

over geared on a CBT, my stepson had his CBT on a throttle back and go and had a 50cc geared trialie type waiting for him at home. Not sure if that was legal or not anyhow.

After getting his CBT and getting on said geared back he had absolutely no confidence what so ever. As well as gaining experience on road craft he was completely inexperienced on gears. Recipe for disaster and after a couple of months the machine was sold and he hasn't ridden since.

Why don't you get CBT done and twist and go moped just to gain some road sense and confidence on two wheels.

Surprising after a short time how much better you will feel.

Then when nerves have taken a bit of a back seat slightly go and get plenty of lessons to build the confidence even more.

If there's a will there's a way and I'm sure given a few months confidence would of grown and you will be where you want to be on 2 wheels.

Reply to this Topic
VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Honda CBR

Hey

This is the bike im looking at.  http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CBR125R/2006/_/R-NXGN-2189342?mfy=11.048215

First i would like to thank you gentleman and madam for the reply but really did not know that i would need to pass my CBT on a geared bike to actually legally drive one on the road with insurance. I took my first CBT couple of weeks ago but never passed because it was my first time using a geared bike but the instructor said i was not ready to go on the road but im back in tomorrow to try again, i just hope i pass on a geared bike this time. Mr.Amateurcynic i don't seem to understand a certain part. The 250 parts? I am not restricted to 125cc only or is that the model name? Sorry is this sounds stupid. 

Reply to this Topic
Thinkladybiker

Oct 11

confidence .....

will come with experience.  Find yourself a good school and tell them you want to learn to ride a geared bike and they will take you through it nice and slowly, hopefully in their own car park area to get you going through the low gears and if after a while you get the hang of that they'll take you through your manoevers and get you through your cbt.  You can then have a few day lessons with them - road rider days they call them where I went, and then you'll be away on a geared bike wondering what you worried about !

I

After doing this myself, followed by a year on a 125 trials bike I then did restricted access and started off on the Ninja 250 which I rode for a year before getting an ER6n and that way I built my confidence slowly and steadily without scaring the crap out of myself trying to ride a machine I wasn't ready for.

Welcome to the fold and enjoy the ride

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Not read

too much from the above as I'm slightly monged out on morphine. However.

Doing a CBT on a 50cc twist n' go and then riding a 125cc on your CBT is perfectly legal unless they've changed it. A riding school will know.

Confidence - it took me two hours to get road confident on a clutch and gears from a twist n' go. After that, it wasn't a problem. I would seriously consider going for the geared bike and perhaps just riding it round the car park a the dealers until you're happy. The CBR 125 is a brilliant little bike but will often have you lusting for Honda build quality in the future. If you're in or around Leeds I can recommend good people to train you if you really feel you're not happy on a geared bike.

As opposed to the CBT, the test must be done on a clutch and gears bike if you want to ride anything other than an automatic in future.

From what you've said and shown, I'd go for the CBR 125 but it also depends on your height and weight.

EDIT - oh and the error was likely due to it not liking the links.

Reply to this Topic
VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Thanks

This is exactly what i want to do, learn and progress. Yeah ive been taking lessons on a big car park. The Manchester city stadium parking area :biggrin: Thanks and will do.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Rules

you do need to be 21 to do DA as amatcynic says - but I guess that is only a little way off for you. If you decide against this route (and there's no real reason why you shouldn't IMO) you will be restricted to a 33bhp (25kw) bike for 2 years unless you do DA part way through that "probation". In theory you could restrict a Bandit 600 or similar to 33bhp; but you'll end up with a heavy and sluggish bike. Taking out the restrictor (after two years of course) would revitialise said bike and by then you may be looking to exceed the general performance of a 250; so its quid pro quo on which route is best. 250s average 30-40bhp so may only need mild restricting at best. Can't say I ever noticed the extra 6 alleged horsepower that returned to my GPX250 when I took out the air intake washer that kept it to 33bhp.
For confidence, extra lessons are a good idea. If you can stretch to it, might I recommend a day's offroad training. I go to Yamaha Schools' one a couple of times a year. Would give you lots of practice of geared bikes and teach you VAST amounts about handling bikes, corners, and less than perfect road/grip conditions. All whilst doing less than 35mph (generally); but feeling like 135mph. You WILL be a lot better road rider for it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices