Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ajpink

Dec 11

ajpink says:

First big bike

hey guys,

want to upgrade to a 600cc. Im not to sure what to go for really. the bike will be used 3 to 5 days a week, about an hour journey both there and back and also want something that my other half would feel comfortable on too. I was looking at a yamaha fz6 or honda cbf 600 but want a few more suggestions to look at before i go ahead and seal a deal.

ps. im 6ft 1 :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 January 2012 01:29)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

try try try again

as im sure most will tell you there are a few bikes that on paper suit you sir , but the only way you will know is getting out and sitting on them and trying them for size , if you using it through the winter , also look for helpful extras that will keep you comfortable on your journey , good luck with ur search .

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Usual questions

Budget?
Have you considered insurance?
What bike are you upgrading from? 125?

Kawasaki ER6n / f or Versys (Versys might be better if you're tall), Bandit 600/650 (or GSX650F), SV650.

Don't forget to allow for the odd drop (esp if you're a newbie) - factor the costs of damaged plastics if you get a faired bike (don't forget things like levers and pegs either which get damaged).

Reply to this Topic
ajpink

Dec 11

ajpink says:

thank you

So my budget at the moment is about £2000.

insurance is not a problem for me and yes ill be using it all year round. jon66: thats true im going to pop into my local dealer and get a feeel for different types and sizes.

AdieR: I do like the Versys, i am upgrading from a 125 and have ridden it for nearly two years now. I was worried about dropping a bigger bike and keep having to hand over cash to sort the damage so i think ill have a look into the Bandit 600.

Thank you for your replies :) im new to the big bike scene so its nice to get your opinions.

Reply to this Topic
ste birc

Aug 07

ste birc says:

Hi

If this is your first big ish bike I would get either a GSXR600, R6, ZX6R or CBR600RR

Reason from experience: The 600cc bike comes in many forms and different power outputs... Sportbikes 100bhp+ and touring 100bhp<. My preference was a sports because it had the power. 2 up is quite satisfying too but not very comfy for long rides.

A friend had a ER6F and it was no match for my GSXR600. If I had the ER6F I would have been getting a faster bike a week later. I know there is limits but if a 600cc is what your after I would get the maximum power out of it. You make the bike go fast its not the bike. As you get more experience youll probably want a more powerful bike. A sports 600 is in the middle. I have a 06 RSV1000R now and love it.

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Dont get a snail

Try a starter 600 first and see if you can get used to the power.  I got a ZZR600 for my first big bike, been on it about three month now.  Had a go on a ER6 but was a bit on the slow side now i've got used to the ZZR.

Then again if you build up through the ranks you've nothing to loose.  My mate has just got an R6 that is mental compared to the ZZR I like it but for me as a commuter bike just a tad too extreme and would end up with a mega neck / back ache.  The sports touring bikes are a a bit detuned than the full out sports bike.  

The weight difference from a 125 is good for stability but i nearly learnt the hard way when i didnt but the stand down properly and had to catch the bike, lets just say it was a bit heavier than the 125.  No injuries except shame on the street me nearly being squashed by the bike :)  

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

First big bike

Try out an SV650, They're really good bikes and corner amazingly well.

The V twin engine has loads of power in the low and middle rpm's

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Could do

a lot worse than an a VFR 750,bomb proof, reliable,fast,fun,decent fairing a really practical sports tourer.I love my VFR, as do alot of members on the MCN forum and you should be able to pick one up with a fsh for £2k.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-VFR750F-M-V-1995-2002/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Annual Mileage?

If you really are spending about an hour each way on your commute you will be probably doing about 18-20K a year. If you don't do your own servicing you could easily spend more on this than petrol so look at which bikes have low service costs...
This is how I ended up with a BMW F800 (6000 mile intervals, better mpg than 600s, much less to do than a R Series, and low maintenance belt drive not a chain). Unfortunately not yet available in your budgetbut also Yamahas (e.g. a Fazer) have 6000 mile service intervals and the fazer is quite cheap to buy...
Is your other half going to be riding or pillion? From what I have read I would think the Fazer would be a bit frustrating with a pillion on and that might tempt me towards a Z750S (more torquey but can still be bought cheap and is as economic as a 600. Snag is the 4000 mile service intervals).
I quite like the CBF600SA as a commuter bike but it is a bit bland compared to others and servicing is every 4000 miles. A Bandit S could be had for the same money but I would prefer a Fazer of the three.
The other option is a SV650S. A bit more of a sporty riding position but lovely little things. Quite torquey and well within your price range. Whilst the VFR 750 is a great bike I would be scared of the servicing costs and something going wrong (old honda rectifiers etc are bad) (not to mention the fuel consumption). Lovely if you are doing a small mileage but...  

Reply to this Topic
colouredcob

Jul 09

colouredcob says:

First big bike

Mine was, and still is my Honda CBF600, I had to have a bike with a low seat and the choices were limited, sat on a few and got a feel for them.  Love my Honda and have no desire to move on from it.  

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

My first big bike

was a 1992 CB750 which I put 20kmiles on in a year before px'ing it for a Bandit 12.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices