Skip to content

Discuss This George White goes into administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > George White goes into administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

George White goes into administration

George White Motors, the UK’s leading motorcycle dealer group, has gone into administration this morning, MCN has learnt. Rumours of the closure began circulating early this morning with suggestions that staff at its dealerships in Swindon, Plymouth and Torbay had been made redundant. The shock news was then confirmed at around 11am to MCN by owner Steve Gannicott who said the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 January 2012 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wiltsbiker

Jul 11

wiltsbiker says:

Well..

@ Swindon - Yes Pat and Mark were great!

Shame to see them go!

Reply to this Topic
stormrider66

Jul 08

stormrider66 says:

In my area we lost three well established motorcycle retailers with in a 13 month period between 2009/10. Between them they had traded for over 200 years, surviving numerous other recessions as well as world wars. What was different this time, the new motorcycle test. This new testing procedure has dramaticly reduced the number of people coming into the motorcyle scene, buying bikes whether new or secoond hand as well as buying clothing and other equipment.

RIP to the UK motorcycle ind you will forever be in my heart.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Shame For The Staff

It's rotten luck for the staff at Torbay, Plymouth and Swindon, I knew many of them personally and this is a really bad time to be made redundant. I wonder if this is history repeating itself? Teign Valley Motorcycles at Newton Abbot was an MCN Dealer of the Year, they did incredible deals undercutting other dealers by miles and they went to the wall about 20 years ago. I live in Plymouth and ever since George White acquired GT Motorcycles they have done no local advertising here at all and they haven't really involved themselves in the local motorcycling scene in the way GT used to. Consequently they have seen their customer base dwindle more than you might expect - even allowing for the economic downturn. The last few times I visited the place was dead. Such a shame.

Reply to this Topic
AndyC1

Jan 12

AndyC1 says:

Sad news

this is a real shame. The guys in the Plymouth store have always been great to deal with and looked after me well.

Reply to this Topic
scantdoor

Oct 10

scantdoor says:

George White

Had my new bike from them 4 months ago. That was the 4th bike i have had. Great people to deal with. But could never get my head round how cheep they could sell new bike for. Great firm to deal with.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Sad to hear this, and surprised: they were talking about opening an Edinburgh branch last year.

>What was different this time, the new motorcycle test. This new testing procedure has dramaticly reduced the number of people coming into the motorcyle scene

Yup.  The number of new licensees has halved since the 2 part test came in.  I know the End of Biking has been predicted forever, but it is looking pretty bad. 

Lowest new bike registrations since 1996 (and most of those are 125s), pending 3DLD licensing to put even more people off, nanny chips, and Euro 4/5 emissions, I wouldn't be surprised to see one (or more) big marques go under or pull out of the UK / EU.

The more that I think about it, the more that Suzuki's 4 month price slash is looking like a bet-the-farm gamble.  If they can't shift SV650's at a £4450 sticker price then they might as well not bother.

Reply to this Topic
daversv4r

Jan 12

daversv4r says:

Although i feel sorry for all the guys that will loose their job it is these type of dealers that is killing the trade for dealers that have been in the business for many years. I work for a multi franchise dealer here in scotland and you just can't compete with these guy's. I think most people will rue the day when your local dealer has been wiped out buy the dealers that buy in bulk and sell the bikes cheap, it was only a matter of time before this happend.

Reply to this Topic
stevowarrior

Jun 06

stevowarrior says:

Got to feel sorry for the staff when this happens, and I bet MCN will suffer. Whites have got to have been one of MCN's biggest advertisers, certainly in terms of page space.   

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Turn on the EU

Its bastardslike kinnock and Bangerman ( yes hes not there no more but you know what i meen )They got a nice safe ,cushy and well paid pension job so stupis rules have got to made up to justify their positions .All this anti tampering bollocks coming out is all because manufactores want total control over the maintainence market .I bet BMW slipped a few euros into some comissiners back pocket to see that we have to take our overly expensive bike back to the dealers for link up to  their diasnostic computers to get servicing .the anti fun tree huggers that rule with a rod of iron dont want us saving a few quid  because it might encourage more people doing it and that means less controll over  us .So this is why we gotta fight the EU and make our common sense bike test and start looking after our own citizens .

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Turn on the EU

Its bastardslike kinnock and Bangerman ( yes hes not there no more but you know what i meen )They got a nice safe ,cushy and well paid pension job so stupis rules have got to made up to justify their positions .All this anti tampering bollocks coming out is all because manufactores want total control over the maintainence market .I bet BMW slipped a few euros into some comissiners back pocket to see that we have to take our overly expensive bike back to the dealers for link up to  their diasnostic computers to get servicing .the anti fun tree huggers that rule with a rod of iron dont want us saving a few quid  because it might encourage more people doing it and that means less controll over  us .So this is why we gotta fight the EU and make our common sense bike test and start looking after our own citizens .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices