Skip to content

Discuss This George White goes into administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > George White goes into administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

George White goes into administration

George White Motors, the UK’s leading motorcycle dealer group, has gone into administration this morning, MCN has learnt. Rumours of the closure began circulating early this morning with suggestions that staff at its dealerships in Swindon, Plymouth and Torbay had been made redundant. The shock news was then confirmed at around 11am to MCN by owner Steve Gannicott who said the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 January 2012 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
canofworms

Feb 11

canofworms says:

George White

The Bankers of the M/C Industry. Gambled, used other peoples money and failed. Maybe bad for the consumer in terms of them undercutting almost everyone else out there, sorry everyone else out there!

Great for the rest of the trade, you might sell a few more now! Feel really bad for the regular Staff though, good luck guys and gals, its tough out here at the moment! Real tough!

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

superbol

You either don't have a modern bike or just don't like BMW's going by your little dig there, but all motorcycle manufacturers have bikes that need diagnostics, TRIUMPH, Aprilia, Ducati, some Honda's, Kowee's etc, with ECU's, injection and security electronics that's just the way things have gone, it's not the sole preserve of BMW pal.

Reply to this Topic
TOTALBIKES

Jan 12

TOTALBIKES says:

Just a thought

Having worked in the trade for all my adult life I cant help but wounder if their bussiness model was flawed from the start. Selling bikes more or less at cost and relying on the bonus from manufactures to make your profit.. Sounds great untill the following year when your sale target goes up, so the only option is to open a new store and flood that area with cheap bikes and so on....

The market contracts and new sales hit the floor!!! This is the end result. We have seen it all before with so called "National dealers." 

I do feel sorry for there employees, some of which have been there many years and are good freinds Eg. Nigel the parts manager (SWINDON TOP MAN) but I also cant help but wonder if the people they owe money to will ever get paid???

Or will they just re-open trading as a diffrent name????

Reply to this Topic
TOTALBIKES

Jan 12

TOTALBIKES says:

Just a thought

Having worked in the trade for all my adult life I cant help but wounder if their bussiness model was flawed from the start. Selling bikes more or less at cost and relying on the bonus from manufactures to make your profit.. Sounds great untill the following year when your sale target goes up, so the only option is to open a new store and flood that area with cheap bikes and so on....

The market contracts and new sales hit the floor!!! This is the end result. We have seen it all before with so called "National dealers." 

I do feel sorry for there employees, some of which have been there many years and are good freinds Eg. Nigel the parts manager (SWINDON TOP MAN) but I also cant help but wonder if the people they owe money to will ever get paid???

Reply to this Topic
TOTALBIKES

Jan 12

TOTALBIKES says:

Just a thought

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

No Sale

The Swindon staff seem to have been popular but back in 2009 I was in the market for a new bike and went in the Slough branch. There were three salesmen sitting on a desk by the door playing with their phones who ignored me as I walked in, I also passed the manager who had his head down at his desk playing on his laptop. After wandering around and stopping for a good long look at a few particular models (I was the only person in there!) I walked into the clothing department where finally a guy asked if could help. I said I was in the market  for a new bike to which he replied he only dealt with clothing, didn't offer to fetch a salesman and went back to his counter.I figured if that was what they called service I'd take my money elsewhere which I did, went to Woking Yamaha got great service, not pushy but attentive. Twenty five minutes after walking in the deal was done. Maybe the Slough guys were having a bad day but it looked to me like they didn't give a monkeys.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Tough times

Retail has changed and its so sad to see the workers loosing their jobs etc, but again retailers in general have made to much of a markup and this is the result and the fact the recession is killing everything, RIP motorcycle industry.

Reply to this Topic
littlefairy

Jan 12

littlefairy says:

It doesnt surprise me at all.  I've been riding scooters for 25 years and said it was a bad move Piaggio giving the dealership to a bike shop.  And proved my point when I went into the shop in Swindon, they couldnt even order in the correct scooter I wanted and I had to wait 3 weeks, my ex also ordered a scooter from them and got the wrong one as well.  They quoted me a 3 week wait for a service, thank god the company who had the dealership before George Whites could help with only having to wait until the following day. 

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Very Unfortunate

But I'm afraid this will be the first of many this year. Too few newcomers; job insecurity; over-pricing - all contributory factors. I'd like to replace a bike I bought 4 years ago, but the cost of an equivalent has gone up  by 25% and that's too greedy. 

Reply to this Topic
tbuk7

Sep 10

tbuk7 says:

Not surprised

Only went in last week to get price for service at the Swindon dealership,  said they could do it in few days but in March will need couple of weeks notice so staff had no idea. I never knew how this place made money just with the cost of the building work. The staff is the same as other dealers I have been to ( let me know of any that are different) I got new bike from them twice and its all nice and chatty until they get the sale then your history, Just modern times I guess. Another rip off is the profit dealers make on px. I took bike I got from whites to another  dealer  and got a second hand bike. When I took it back for service my old bike was still in showroom. The price was £900 more than I got px and plus they made money on bike I got off them. Finding a place to get good service is hardest thing. I know someone who got a Ducati Diavel it went in for a service and came back with a free socket on the sump plug and leaking oil. I have tried a local mechanic who everyone raves about and he  told me he could not get a circlip on the hose. It took me 10 seconds with some pliers so I wont ever go to him again. Money to be made in bike servicing and tyres but got to be done correctly and with good old customer service.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices