Skip to content

Discuss This George White goes into administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > George White goes into administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

George White goes into administration

George White Motors, the UK’s leading motorcycle dealer group, has gone into administration this morning, MCN has learnt. Rumours of the closure began circulating early this morning with suggestions that staff at its dealerships in Swindon, Plymouth and Torbay had been made redundant. The shock news was then confirmed at around 11am to MCN by owner Steve Gannicott who said the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 January 2012 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

One word!

OVERTRADING!! It catches out a lot of companies and unfortunately George White has just  become another victim! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
123d456c789

Jan 12

123d456c789 says:

Maintenance Plan

Alex. If you're servicing plan has been detailed as part of your finance agreement then the finance company is liable to pick up the cost of the plan for its full term. It probably wasn't included on the finance agreement paperwork but it's worth giving Blackhorse Finance a call to check it out.

Reply to this Topic
paulglassup

Apr 03

paulglassup says:

tbuk...How do you expect dealers to stay open? They aren't charities you know! We operate on 10 to 15 % gross margin, Im sure you think thats reasonable enough.

This is sad for the employees and I hope they are treated fairly, but also find work quickly. Ive been there before and its not nice (redundancy, not George Whites).

Goes to show that the motorcycle supermarket idea is flawed...I would have thought after Carnell/City etc. that people would have learned.

PG

Reply to this Topic
advectus

Oct 08

advectus says:

GW's

I have a plan...... they should change their name to RBS, the government couldn't possibly let them go bust and will have to bail them out with public funds. Not only could they continue to trade but all the staff could be given a bonus for not meeting their sales targets and we, the tax payer, can continue to support them up to and beyond the point where they are making a profit..... ah....just spotted the problem.... they aren't a bank are they ;-(

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Welcome to the UK. Everybody now works in a call centre, Asdas or McDonalds. Absolute joke that successive governments have let the country get into this state.

Reply to this Topic
neiljharding

Mar 09

neiljharding says:

the only way forward i can see is to buy BMW or Triumph because there wont be very many Japanese

dealers left by this time next year,at this rate, and you know this sort of thing wont happen to BMW.and

Triumph hopefully.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Nostrodamus. 2012. The world's fucked.

Reply to this Topic
mjf65

Feb 03

mjf65 says:

I bought a bike from them in 2003 before they expanded, the p/x was good and the after service was excellent during the warranty although being a Yam it didn't need anything doing unlike my Triumph!

I think its the way bike business will be for a number of years, just wander around a large dealer e.g. Fowlers and the salesmen are falling over to sell you a bike that cost 30% more than it did three years ago when in reality if your still working your wages have gone down 5%! Looks like I might be developing a long term relationship with the Speed Triple.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Yes, welcome to Cameron and Cleggs Wonderful (NOT) 'Bannana Republic'..err, i mean country, sadly a sign of the times, and it going to get even worse, at least for us ordinary people,while the 'Elite' banking families and their hencemen (the politicians) lord it over us, they have created mass unemployment, fuel, food and heating poverty, and for those fortunate to have work its temporary part time minimum wage jobs, any suprise bike sales along with many other 'consumer' items are in decline,and of course added to that is the Facist EU's efforts to phase out biking which is well underway, If you vote for any mainstream political party (all EU puppets) you only have yourself to blame, they dont give a damm about us, their priority being keeping their tickets on the gravy train and cushy lifestyles.

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

big deal...

For some who think this is neither here nor there then think again as the fewer the bike dealers the less discounts there will be,as no competition means fuller prices rather than bargains.I think if dealers want customers then learn from the motor trade my car from Honda has a service plan,so I keep going back for the service at the same place thus keeping my warranty happy all for £19 a month.dealers should do thr same for say £15 a month this way you are protected from increases in servie parts n VAT rises.this is something I have never been offered with the bike and I have had 2 from New.feel sad about George white as I used to like the ride down and being with like minded people too.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices