Skip to content

Discuss This George White goes into administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > George White goes into administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

George White goes into administration

George White Motors, the UK’s leading motorcycle dealer group, has gone into administration this morning, MCN has learnt. Rumours of the closure began circulating early this morning with suggestions that staff at its dealerships in Swindon, Plymouth and Torbay had been made redundant. The shock news was then confirmed at around 11am to MCN by owner Steve Gannicott who said the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 January 2012 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
igloocommando

Jan 12

To be perfectly honest, I am not suprised byn this. I visited their store in Bolton recently, and was there for about half an hour. During this period I looked at numerous items, as did about 10 other "potential" customers, one guy and his partner? were trying out boots and jackets etc. but no staff approached anybody, they were too busy texting, making brews and talking on their mobiles. Still, it was only a Monday, so no big deals to be made.

Reply to this Topic
maroonmachine

Jan 12

Goodbye

Goodbye and good riddance, George White Motorcycles and the manufacturers/importers that have supported them have done nothing good for the UK motorcycle industry.

Reply to this Topic
ThePhantom

Mar 09

ThePhantom says:

i got a cracking deal on my gixxer at George whites %0,£1300 accessories fitted and £300 off the retail price and with no flannel or hidden cons (ppi) best dealer ive ever used.r.i.p

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

>George White Motorcycles and the manufacturers/importers that have
>supported them have done nothing good for the UK motorcycle industry.

They had a go at reversing the swingeing fall in new bike sales by pricing bikes at levels that buyers could actually afford - until even that was demonstrably too much.

What, you think it's good news that dealers are now free to price bikes at MSRPs that are way above the George White prices that weren't affordable?  Check my arithmetic: how much is a decent per unit margin multiplied by zero units?

Without healthy new sales of big bikes, there will be no "UK motorcycle industry", just piles of Chinese 125s and scooters that go from the crate to the scrappy at their first MOT without anyone seeing a penny from them in between.

George White had one thing right: if you don't shift units today, then you won't have to worry about tomorrow.

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

George White did for motorcycling what myxomatosis did for rabbits,just a different technique.

Reply to this Topic
wurzel714

Dec 02

wurzel714 says:

Not surprised at all

Bought a new ZX10 off them this time last year.  £7500, 0% apr, £700 of extras and free delivery.  How do you make money on that????  The delivery driver who delivered it said he had been laid off by them for a few months and had only just been given work because they were selling bikes again so how they have lasted this long is beyond me.  One thing I will miss is the truck at the BSB meets with all the bargains.  I always came away with something.  Guess its back to ebay from now on.

Reply to this Topic
gravy1

Apr 06

gravy1 says:

agree

I have to agree with Rogerborg they gave the opportunity for people to get into biking cheaper... and for others to upgrade or change their bike cheaper. If people dislike the idea of getting exactly the same product for less money they can go online and instead of sorting price low to high put high to low and pay thousands extra. Motorcycling will always live on because anyone who loves them will encourage others to do it. If the motorcycle industry is to survive, it needs to stop preaching to the converted, advertise on TV, bring in more buyers, new people and more sales so volumes will rise and costs can fall, make a stand against legislations and stop relying on 50 year olds buying a new £14,000 bike because a mag has said their 2 year old £10,000 is old fashioned. Push moped sales and get wives and kids bake on two wheels.

Reply to this Topic
skullydude

Nov 07

skullydude says:

reading all about gws faults...how come their tents at the shows are always full...is it because we 'ALL' look for a bargain....and remember its very easy to kick someone when their down

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Selling a few cheap bikes and cheap clothing does not warrant having several Large showroom / stores open. What were they thinking? I've been watching the news for the last couple of years and repeatedly see that jobs are becoming few and far between, the pound is worth bugger all, and those fortunate enough to have money are playing it safe and not spending unless they really have too. So why does a director / owner of a motorcycle dealership continue to expand in the current climate? All the signs were there, so it can only go down to bad decision making,

Dont agree with all this motorcycling is dying rubbish, you either want one or you don't no matter what adverts are on telly. Unfortunately the climate is to blame for the majority not wanting to be on two wheels, not because some politician somewhere wants them to wear a hi viz armband or not tamper with their power chain.

Reply to this Topic
HerbertChapman

Sep 10

I'm with Romford4 on this. The common perception of a

'biker' these days is a fat old man, squeezed into a saggy-arsed, one piece leather perched atop a £10,000 transformer style toy that he has neither the ability nor the bollocks to use to its potential. And lets face it, once the eco-warriors cotton on to how obscenely thirsty these machines are, the game will be up for all of us anyway. It will be a source of bemusement to our grandchildren that we were ever allowed to hoon around on these gas-guzzling follys. Then again, with a bit of luck, our grandchildren will be throwing their leg over a battery powered bike and wondering how we ever coped with such pitiful acceleration figures. Seeing scooters make a comeback is great news for the industry. I always give them a wave when I pass as I believe they are very much a part of the two wheeled fraternity.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices