Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tolworth Mod 2 routes? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Tolworth Mod 2 routes?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

schnell82

Jan 12

schnell82 says:

Tolworth Mod 2 routes?

Hi guys,

I passed my mod 1 today (Yay!) and got my Mod 2 booked in for 2 weeks time (which is a bit of a shame as I dont have access to a bike until then!). I wondered if there was somewhere i could find the routes they use over in Tolworth? I was hoping to go and drive them in a car just to check out anything that might need extra thought!

Hope I pass, I've got my eye on an SV650s!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 January 2012 22:04)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

You doing it

with or without an instructor (125 test?)

If you have an instructor / school, they'll know the likely test routes and any hiccups you'll encounter - and you'll be able to hire their bike as well (thus it'll be suitable for the test and you'll have no wrangling with insurance etc).

If you don't have an instructor, it'd be a good idea to get one.

DSA used to publish test routes on their website, but I think thats changed now.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Did mine ages ago there

Mix of side roads north of the high street, watch out for the 20mph limits & narrow roads where you can either be too hesitant or too forceful (depends on testers view), and a blat down the A3, where you must get up to traffic speed (40, then 50) and make progress.

Possible big issue near end of test when I did it years ago, is coming south from A3 into the roundabout where the lanes are all over the place and cars are switching all the time, as 3 lanes on way round plus traffic lights all over.  You need to be in the right lane as you approach, then move over to left to exit as you go over the A3 ready to go down the high street.

Oh and watch out for the 30/20 limit changes in the high st. 

Enjoy the test, ride for yourself, remember the lifesavers, and good luck!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Tolworth Mod 2 Routes

Hi Schnell

Hook roundabout where it meets the A3 and the Tolworth roundabout again where it meets the A3. Thames Ditton roundabout where Station Rd/Speer Rd/Western Green Lane and Embercourt Rd all converge.

Scilly Isles roundabout where Portsmouth Rd/Hampton Court Way and Kingston Bypass converge.

Cox Lane meets Oakcroft Rd (keep out of the Busses Only Lane)

Tolworth Rise North (Its a 30mph)

Hunters Road left turn into Hook Rd. Ewell Rd bus lanes (some are from 7am-10am then 4pm-7-pm then some of them are 7am-7pm)

Ewell Road, some of it is 20mph and most of it is 30mph

Now they are just some of the junctions at Tolworth where some students struggle and do from time to time fail their tests or knock up a few minor faults.

Right now you know where the junctions are, but you dont know what things to look out for at these places. For me to sit and write them all down would take from now to doomsday. So why dont you do as has been suggested on here and go and get help from an Instructor who knows the area extremely well.

Regards

Reply to this Topic
schnell82

Jan 12

schnell82 says:

Yam XJ6

Yep I will be with an Instructor on a 600. I wont be seeing my instructor again until my test day (I wont be on a bike until then either, which is a bit of a worry), so I thought I'd go and have a look around between now and then, taking note of anything I think I should take note of (like the things mentioned). Thanks for the info shuggie & Jim, a definite help. I know the area a little, but seldom travel through there.

I've been pretty happy with my bike school so far and I guess we'll probably ride around there in the morning anyway before my test in the afternoon. Looks like a good group of people on here, I'd like to get in on some group rides for some experience, assuming I pass!!

Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Yam XJ6

Hi Schnell

Just out of interest did you take your Mod 1 at Croydon Test Centre just off Mitcham Road is the XJ6 you were riding the ABS version.

Regards

Reply to this Topic
schnell82

Jan 12

schnell82 says:

AW?

Lol that was me yeah! Is this another one of those times when the internet is made out to be huge, but really its a small world?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Tolworth Mod 2 Routes.

Hi Schnell

Its just that if you took your training in SW19 then the shop can put you in touch with a company that will hire you a 125cc. I think that it is called About Town and they are in Wandsworth.

I appreciate that it is not an XJ600, but you can still keep your hand in until your Test.

Regards

Reply to this Topic
schnell82

Jan 12

schnell82 says:

hmmm

Nick mentioned them (someone) I think... good plan that one. Will check them out

Reply to this Topic
Hackey

Mar 11

Hackey says:

Tolworth Test Routes

I had my test at Tolworth (mod 2 ) in august and this was one of the routes - 

come out of the test centre and turn left and left again onto the main road and then turn right before the lights into berrylands ( be advised you will meet a LOT of traffic and its crucial that you anticipate ) then you will move into the A3 - for a bout half a mile then you will do a right into new malden ish area , a lot of right hand bends so observations "OSMP" is very important, then a lot of back roads will bring you back towards kingston and then back to the test centre - you HAVE to anticipate because tolworth is mental on back roads etc . GOOD LUCK  

Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Tolworth Mod 2 Routes

Hi Schnell

Dont forget to wear them lucky "Waterproof Overtrousers" on your Mod 2

Regards

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy