Skip to content

Ask an Expert Aprilla rs125 Won't start. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and biking for that matter, put i will give it a go.

I bought an aprilla a few weeks ago and it started up fine, however upon bringin it through the house, it now does not start. At the time the battery was low, I have charged the battery and have cleaned/dried the spark plug. The bike is not sparking, I am wondering what may be the matter with it? Since that last time it started it was only a few minutes and a trip through the house to the garden till it did not start? Advice need thanks in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 January 2012 10:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Okay will try that

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help, when i get home i will try that. Could i please have a bit of knowledge of why jump starting the bike will solve the problem?

Apologies if i came across rude earlier.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

its cool man.. its cos a bike battery has to be at 12.6 volts to have enough power to crank the engine over and spark the plug.. if it is even just below 12.6 it hasn't got enough power to do all the things, thats why it is just turning it over and not sparking it too.

you could also try bump starting ur bike... what you wanna do really.. is disconnect the battery, fully charge it with a bike battery charger.. then leave it for 24 hours and check the voltage.. if it has lost charge your battery is fucked :) 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

thanks

But what seems wierd is when i got it it started, and then once getting it through the house, which did involve a bit of lifting the bike up, it stopped. First i thought it was the battery as that was quite low on power?, but even after a charge it needs to be  bump started?

All the best

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

you could bump start it on a flat battery cos u are effectively bypassing the starter motor.. what we are saying is basically that if the battery is below 12.6.. it wont start ur bike.. i know its weird that wen u got it it started and now it wont..its just process of elimination really.. if u charge ur battery and and it reads 12.6 volts and no less than 10 when cranking the bike over and it still wont start then it is a seperate issue.. but we cant go there until we eliminate the battery...at the moment mate.. it just sounds like ya battery is knackered.... i do know wat you are sayin, but u have to understand that charging your battery means nothing if it doesn't hold that charge... Also, when u say it isn't sparking,, have u had the plug out and held it against something metal like the cylinder head and checked this??? sorry if this seems patronising but i dont know if u know how to do this or not :)

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

I had the plug out yesterday and no spark was there, It seems pretty bizarre. If the battery turns out to be fine, what would the next plan of action be?,

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

did u earth the plug against metal when u tried it?? u could check the HT connections..if there isnt enough voltage in the battery though there wont be a spark... just try it with jump leads from a car battery to yours.. if it doesnt start then check for a spark like that too.. and let us know whats happenin pal

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

joe

Just a quickie, if the baterry was not at fault, what would the next possibility to check, will be going through this when i get home later today?

Appreciate your help so much mate.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

i can almost guarantee u that it is the battery that is at fault.. u have already said its like 2 volts below what it should be... answer my other questions as well.. like did u put the spark plug against the cylinder wen u were checking it for a spark.. cos if u didn't then there wont be a spark... 

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

UPDATE!!

Hi everyone,

Just as an update, i have double checked the voltage of the battery and it comes out at 12-13v?
I appreciate everyone's  help in advance.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

no start

You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink it.

12-13volts:lol: your a joker and appreciate nothing.

Try,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=lcd+digital+multimeter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

and save money.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices