Skip to content

Ask an Expert Aprilla rs125 Won't start. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and biking for that matter, put i will give it a go.

I bought an aprilla a few weeks ago and it started up fine, however upon bringin it through the house, it now does not start. At the time the battery was low, I have charged the battery and have cleaned/dried the spark plug. The bike is not sparking, I am wondering what may be the matter with it? Since that last time it started it was only a few minutes and a trip through the house to the garden till it did not start? Advice need thanks in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 January 2012 10:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

I used a multi-meter on the battery, and its an optical one, so you can't tell exactly but it was deffo over 12.

I do appreciate everyones help, but you posting ignorant comments like that doesn't help anyone. The battery is out of the question atm, The hunch from a mate who done motorcycle mechanics for 2 years, reckons its a problem with the coil. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Er

what exactly is an "optical" multimeter??

I've had umpteen meters over the years, analogue and digital, but I've yet to come across an optical one?

Anyhow, assuming your battery to be ok, (have you tried substituting it with a known good one?) it'd be a good idea to check the wiring through your ignition system for corrosion / breaks / chafing before you throw money on random parts - otherwise you risk buying a new part and having the same problem. Heat, vibration and chemical attack (salt etc from the road) can wreak havoc with electrical systems (not familiar with your bike, but if it has an HT lead to the plug, replace that at the same time).

For what it costs, and you say its not sparking, it might well be worth trying a new plug(s) (how long has that one/s been in?).

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

joec104,

Are you saying the engine spins with the starter?
Can you smell fuel after cranking?
Is there enough fuel in the tank?
How long did it run for when you first tried it?

Check your kill switch, choke and fuel tap positions.
Try it with the stand up, and try it with the clutch lever pulled in (they have safety switches which can go wrong).

Check the fuses.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

it could be a problem with the coil.. check for a voltage reading there when u try and start the bike..

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Hi,

Sorry for sounding ignorant to your help before.

I had tried it with clutch in, double checked kill switch and choke. The bike turnsover but its just not sparking. But when i turn the throttle whilst trying to start it, the bike makes a whining noise?

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

what is an optical multi meter?? do u mean one thats got a needle rather than a digitial display??  check for a reading at the coil connection.. also.. have you tried bumping the bike yet?

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Yeah, thats the multimeter.

I will try to bump start it at the weekend, as the bike is in the back garden currently, as i won't be riding it for a bit.  Okay sure I will do, where abouts would the coil be mate?

regards

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

Bump starting will give u the best idea i reckon.. im not 100% sure where the coil is on ur bike, i have never had one..  just follow the H.T lead from the plug cap to a little cylinder and thats it.... check for a voltage reading there when u press the ignition button.. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

RS125 won't start.

Check your ignition fuse.

(Although I'm trying to think whether that would prevent the starter from turning also? Maybe not. Easy enough to check anyway.)

Can you smell fuel after cranking? Is there enough fuel in the tank?

Are you flooding it, or alternatively not giving it enough choke?

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

if the ignition fuse had gone it would be dead at the button...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices