Skip to content

Ask an Expert Aprilla rs125 Won't start. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Aprilla rs125 Won't start.

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and biking for that matter, put i will give it a go.

I bought an aprilla a few weeks ago and it started up fine, however upon bringin it through the house, it now does not start. At the time the battery was low, I have charged the battery and have cleaned/dried the spark plug. The bike is not sparking, I am wondering what may be the matter with it? Since that last time it started it was only a few minutes and a trip through the house to the garden till it did not start? Advice need thanks in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 January 2012 10:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

If its the coil, would the bike still be able to be bump started?

Cheers Joe

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

nope cos its the coil that provides the spark.. but... you really should try and bump start it.. i think anyway.. its fool proof. did u try jump leads from a donor battery by the way?? i know u dont think its your battery.. but u should really try. it could turn out to be the coil but its funny how it went so quickly... you should check the spark plug cap has a good connection into the HT lead too.. sometimes they can corrode inside and give u a shit connection.. especially if u have been lugging the bike about a bit like u said u have...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Fuses.

"If the ignition fuse had gone it would be dead at the button."

Rob, I don't think that's true for all bikes and I think the RS125 is one such. I could be wrong. It wouldn't take a minute to check them though.

Joe, you're missing the point a bit. The fella's have suggested a jump start because if it works you'll know your battery is almost certainly knackered.

On the other hand a bump start wouldn't involve the starter (obviously), so if that worked you'd know you had sparks a least and that your starter or starter circuit was the culprit.

It's a process of elimination. Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

fuses

Ahh right sorry james I didn't know that mate.. i thought all 125's just had them main little glass fuses. 

Reply to this Topic
joec104

Jan 12

joec104 says:

Thank you for all of your responses,

I will take a look at the bike at the weekend, Due to the fact by the time i get home from work its pitch black. But yeah i will check if any cables have come loose, which could be a quite likely suspect, once again thank you and will let you know.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

LOL... instead of looking for loose cables.. try a donor battery.. try and jump start it... check for a multi meter reading at the coil connection, check your ignition fuse hasn't gone like James says.. we will stop giving advice if u just keep ignoring it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices