Skip to content

Discuss This First ride: Triumph Speed Triple R First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > First ride: Triumph Speed Triple R

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

First ride: Triumph Speed Triple R

Triumph’s new-for-2012, uprated Speed Triple R is currently being tested by MCN in southern Spain. These are Senior Road Tester Michael Neeves’ first impressions: “I'm at the launch of the new Triumph Speed Triple R at the Jerez circuit in southern Spain. Compared to the standard Speed Triple, the £11,299 R version has Ohlins front and rear suspension, Brembo monobloc front...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 January 2012 11:38)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

if only....

If I hadn't excitedly bought a Speed shortly after the release of thye new model, I would have gone for this one. After initial trepidation, I have found a total lack of that niggling feeling of manybe I should have hot a... I love my bike in so many ways. Although I would have to say she is not very happy pootling around the city (I live in the centre of Madrid). I am so looking forward to this review. I have always agreed with Michael's opinion (more than I can say of some testers). The main interest is, of course, what they have done to the gearbox. Please post a video of this thing of great beauty racing around the magnificent Circuit. Jerez is the second fastest circuit here, after the new one in Aragón (Motorland)...

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

An R version without the flyscreen is kind of strange...I mean I know they like selling that piece of plastic for like 300$, but I think it shoudnt even be an option on the stock one...it should come stock on both Speed and Street Triples, just makes those headlights look decent, without the flyscreen they look clumsy and out of place.

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

There are a limited edition of "launch" models that come with the flyscreen, belly pan and a few other parts.  For more money....  A little cheeky of Triumph but they've been doing it for years.  They probably make more on selling the plastics parts than they do on the actual bike!

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

You've got to really love the 2011 Speed Triple over the previous model to want to buy one.

I didn't think the 2011 model was such a leap forward and to be honest, when I rode one, I thought it was better in some ways but not as good in others. And then there's the price. The R model has the upgrades but is it really worth the extra £'s over the standard one and is is really worth the extra £'s over an earlier model?

I guess if you can afford it and love it, you'll buy one but I'm sticking with my older version for a while because it's still a great bike.

Reply to this Topic
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

4th Paragraph

Why are you talking about the street triple R in a Speed Triple review with no reference to them being alike...?

Reply to this Topic
goodygixxer

Jan 09

goodygixxer says:

I think he meant to say 'Speed' Triple not 'Street' Triple.  People are always getting them confused.  Even the salesman in the Triumph dealer i was speaking to about the new Speed Triple R the other day kept referring to it as a Street Triple R.  They sound too alike which contributes towards the confusion!

Reply to this Topic
NickRichards

Jan 12

NickRichards says:

Headlights

Bring back the round ones; to me the new ones make it look more like a naked Japanese Bike.

Reply to this Topic
jonnyconcrete

Oct 05

its not even funny how bad those front lights look

Reply to this Topic
barnstormer1

Jun 11

barnstormer1 says:

I'm with johnnyconcrete-the front lights are really gross-they look like they've been nicked from a car, and it ain't exactly cheap is it? For that sort of money I would want something that looked a bit more stylish and together, rather than a jap backstreetfighter.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Headlights again!!

I understand a lot of people don't like the new lights but they look far better with the optional fairing which I think should be made standard. It makes the lights look far better but it doesn't really detract from the streetfighter look. And why doesn't Triumph also do a screen which mounts on the fairing like the one on the Street Triple? Just helps take the wind blast off your chest, especially for old gits like me!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices