Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Every driving test should include a bike question’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Every driving test should include a bike question’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

‘Every driving test should include a bike question’

An insurance firm is petitioning the Government to make a motorcycle-related question part of every driving test. Bennetts Insurance thinks it could help reduce casualties. At the moment a bike-related question may or may not come up in the driving theory test. The petition says the matter should not be left to chance. It says: ‘With questions currently selected at random, there...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 January 2012 12:05)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Pinkerton...

"There are way to many cars on the road so maybe the government should try to be more picky about who they give a licence to... the average car driver is a lazy, irresponsable inconsiderate idiot"

...or in other words a voter. If the roads were full of bikes then any motorist who killed a biker would be hung from the nearest lamp post. As it is, riding a bike is seen as contributary negligence in any accident (see how many death-by-careless car drivers are aquitted). When a motorist can drive head on into 2 motorcycles & kill both riders without blame what difference is a question in a test going to make.

Reply to this Topic
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

CBT

I still think all drivers should have to do CBT training before they get into a car so they are more aware of the dangers, only takes a day.....

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

nice move

Nice step forwards in the constant battle for safer driving... ultimately though us bikers need to remember - we are a tenth of the size of a car/truck and therefore are always going to be harder to see. The best strategy is still to be aware ourselves and take our own safety as priority 1!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Sod all point, theory is just regurgitate-then-forget.

Some more realistic hazard clips might help.  How about a clip that pans rapidly from side-to-side on the approach to a junction?  See how many candidates spot an approaching bike before it goes over the bonnet of the camera vehicle.  That might wake them up.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Or

How about putting the heads of cagers that kill motorcyclists on pikes on the side of the road?

Sad to see the UK is becoming just as bad as the US regarding cager scum.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Mr.Luck

Spot on mate. I couldn't agree more but we (and I include myself in this) all moan about the lack of training for car drivers but unless  the MCN and BMF and perhaps the AA in Edmund King start pushing for this, nothing will get done. There needs to be an official lobby put to Government. They can say what they like with misguided, ill informed statistics but unless car drivers are better trained, accidents involving motorcyclists will continue because of poor driver education.

I only hope Bennetts, MCN, BMF and the AA ( the more the merrier) push for better driver education and maybe accident statistics will reduce and more importantly lives can be saved.

How the hell do you get a campaign like this started? Bennetts have started but it's not enough.

MCN HELP!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
demonblader

Nov 05

demonblader says:

Mr Luck

I fully agree with you mate, every car driver should do a CBT first, let them see how we are treated then it might make them open their bloody eyes, I'll even teach them, as a CBT instructor I would have no qualms in doing it. maybe we should try to get it that to keep your car/van/truck licence you should do your CBT every ten years with the renewal, no CBT pass cert then no licence renewal.

Reply to this Topic
squizzar

Apr 09

squizzar says:

CBT as part of driving test...

I agree - it made me a much better driver afterwards.

Someone has already created a petition for it:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5543

Reply to this Topic
benb404

Jan 12

benb404 says:

Is that e-petition just for cyclists to do a CBT not car drivers?

But I do agree, car drivers should do a CBT and have possibly atleast 1 complete year of insurance on a bike. Having said that, there would be more chinese bikes in the market ruining proper bike companies.

Reply to this Topic
squizzar

Apr 09

squizzar says:

Sorry, try again...

Copied the wrong link:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/17791

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN