Skip to content

Ask an Expert Short Arse! New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Short Arse!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

baccas66

Jan 12

baccas66 says:

Short Arse!

Hi, I'm just going through my DAS and looking at second hand motorcycles. I want something 'sporty', but I'm only 5'4". I've been training on a VFR400 so I've been looking at these and CBR400's also. I quite like the old VFR750's. My dilemma is that I want something with a bit of grunt, but I'd like the bike to be stable, without any nasty surprises, as I've managed to reach 45 and I'd like to stay alive for quite a while yet! I know that height reduction kits are available, which will help. But I just need pointing in the right direction!
many thanks in advance.
Jethro

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 January 2012 18:13)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

even a CBF500

is sporty enough for racers to have learnt on, happy enough to cruise in three figures, but a very forgiving 1st big bike and has a seat height of just 775mm - not quite cruiser territory but an inch and a half lower than most sports bikes.

Failing that, there a lowering kits made for oodles of bikes, for lowering the rear.  They usually claim 25mm or 1" lowering, but take that with a pinch of salt - with some kits it's half that.  The front can usually be dropped to suit in minutes.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Bike choice

how much dosh are you planning to spend?

Probably the best idea is to go round to some dealers and sit on a few for size.

Beware however, that while some bikes, whilst relatively low, can be wide so you might find it hard work getting feet down at a standstill (if this is what's worrying you).

The other thing you might find with "sporty" bikes is that with high pegs and low bars is that you may find them uncomfortable after a while.

Bear in mind that whatever you get, there's a good chance you'll drop it, so factor in costs of that too.

Maybe SV650 or ER6f would interest you?

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

There are plenty of small bikes

with a bit of grunt. Caviga Raptor, Ducati Monster, Buell XB12SCG. I believe early R6's have a fairly low seat height too.

Best advice is to go and sit on a few and see what feels right for you. 5'4" isn't that small, you may be surprised what bikes you can actually manage. Remember, you don't need to be able to get both feet down, let alone flat.

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

The joys of being a shorty biker!!!

How i know the feeling so well baccas66, i do believe hyperpro supply lowering kits for most bikes. I believe their website is www.hyperpro.com:smile

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

The joys of being a shorty biker!!!

I had to have my 03 cg125 suspension ultered on acount of having a 29 inch inside leg so i can really understand what challenges you face. Good luck and i hope my 1st post helped!!:smile:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices