Skip to content

General How do i de-restrict a restricted bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > How do i de-restrict a restricted bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

How do i de-restrict a restricted bike?

I know most people would say leave the bike de-restricted but i rather follow the rules but how would one restrict a former de-restricted bike? 

Happy Burns night :biggrin:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 January 2012 23:58)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Get a kit

I have never fitted 1. I did own some 50cc+125cc bikes a long time ago and they were restriced by making the internal bore of the exaust smaller.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What bike

you planning to restrict?

Dependent on the bike, you might not need to restrict it anyway.

Reply to this Topic
VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Wrong way round..

Sorry guys i meant how do i de-restrict a bike thats been restricted? I should proof before i post them, my bad.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

De-restricting

Depends on the bike - different bikes are restricted in different ways.  If you let the community know what machine you are talking about there's bound to be someone on here that will know how the restriction is applied to that particular bike. 

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

various issues

1. Air intake restiction - find the washer and remove. Bike might need a bit of dyno time or will run a bit lean (this may or may not be a problem)

2. Speedo restrictions - may involve removing a cable or plug, may mean buying a bespoke speedo to circumvent issue (expensive)

3. (Common to Grey 400s) multiple restirctor to meet Japanses power and top speed laws of old. [bollox:mad:] will need a lot of work and may only de-restirct partially. Better off looking for one already derestricted.

4. Via exhaust system - will need replacing with an aftermarket system

Reply to this Topic
VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Its a..

Its a Gilera DNA 50cc. Sorry but what' a bespoke speedo? I might be wrong or i might be saying the wrong things but the bike is not edited in anyway, nothing replaced or modded but i get the feeling its the washer that's been removed, which i have no idea what that is.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not familiar with your bike

but I think its likely a resonator tube in the exhaust (I'm going off the top of my head, so I stand corrected if I'm wrong).

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Bespoke speedos

say you had bought a late 1980s VFR400. Japanese law mandated a set top speed. To achieve this, Honda put a device into the speedometer to prevent the bike exceeding this speed. Fixing this is difficult. If you take the device out, the bikes ECU ("brain") thinks there is a fault and the bike won't work. The solution is to buy a purpose built speedometer and ECU - mainly these come from the racing world, but with a hefty price.

For the DNA, I can imagine two possibilities. If you have a manual, look for where the air-intake is for the engine. This will look like a short tube that is wider than it is long. If it has a metal disc with a hole in it (washer) surronded by some glue-like sealent this is the restrctor. Merely remove it to regain full power. Or to restrict, insert such a washer - a dealer should be able to adivse, its not a big job.

Alternatively, the restrictor will be in the exhaust system somewhere. This will require a new exhaust system (an aftermarket, or official "performance" varient) to fix.

Finally, if your question is on how to make a 50cc bike go over 30mph...you have a couple of scenarios:

If the manufacturer has limited it to 30mph by an electronic mechanism, you will have to buy an speedo or ECU that gets around this. Try eBay and a dealership. If it is that the bike is set out to not get above 30, you can tune it to beat this. Options inlcude a new air filter and race exhaust - illegal for noise laws mind - and a rejetting of the carbs to suit the new system. Altering the rear sprocket will add top speed at the expense of accelleration if the gearing is desgned to keep it at 30 (this is less likely a plan by the manufacturer). Fianlly, you are looking at engine tuning such as increasing the egine size to 80cc - you're better off getting the bigger cc model in the firstplace then.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices