Skip to content

Discuss This 1000cc switch to help Ben Spies MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > 1000cc switch to help Ben Spies

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

1000cc switch to help Ben Spies

Yamaha expects the introduction of the new 1000cc MotoGP class to help American rider Ben Spies mount a challenge for more victories in 2012. The Texan’s factory Yamaha team boss Massimo Meregalli believes the style required to ride the new generation 1000s will favour Spies, who won the World Superbike title for the Japanese factory back in 2009. Although Spies collected his...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 January 2012 10:57)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Hard to see

What it is I've fabricated...??

My opinion is that Spies and Dovi are about the same level in terms of consistency and the results that their speed can get them. Dovi lost his factory ride as he couldn't produce the results Honda wanted in 09/10. He still couldn't win in 2011. Spies had a bad 2011 and could go the same way if he doesn't produce the results that Yamaha want this year.

You're praising Dovi for 'producing'. I can't see what it is he's 'produced'. Neither could Honda, hence his move to satellite team.

Hard to see any fabrication of truth in that.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Oh Benny

Such faith, but Dovi is going to disappoint you come season's end

Where the hell did you get that scoop on Rossi's 2012 riding gear?

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Anyone got an idea of the Yamaha factory livery? Red/white Yellow/black or the crappy blue? Kenny Robberts Black en yellow would be nice. Carlos Lavado red and white even better. But blue again? Yamaha will need the Rizla Suzuki girls to make that right.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Carlos Blue haapens to be traditional color for Yamaha I thought it looked poor at the start of last season but once they switched some of thir logos on the bike by putting the Yamalube logo on the front and With Uou Japan on the tail of the M1 I thought it looked better.

Reply to this Topic
TeamPunkass

Jan 10

TeamPunkass says:

lol

Like it or not, they're in the same class - two riders without a championship in the premier class that are just a tick slower then the guys who can and do win on a regular basis. You talk of Dovi as if he's won multiple races and a championship in MotoGP when neither is true - if he was as good as you say he is, Honda would've done everything in their power to keep him, when in the end they opted to sign Simoncelli instead - even after the controversy of Simo crashing on a regular basis and the incident with Pedrosa early in the season.

If you think I am a pro-Spies, anti-Dovi fanboy you're very incorrect. Dovi is a good rider, very consistant - but facts are facts, he's not in a "higher class" unless he's battling 27/26/99 on a regular basis. There's no denying Dovi beat Ben both years, but he hasn't been the top rider on his team either year. He managed to beat Pedrosa by only 9 points in '11 - and that's only because Pedrosa missed 3 races while Dovi scored 49 points in those 3.

I watch racing to see a good race regarldless of who wins. I still wtach MotoGP hoping to see a good race rather than the usual parade that seems to take place race after race.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Yamaha GYTR

Traditional color? Why is that, because their factory is painted blue? All great Yamaha riders have ridden Red/White2 stroke machines. Agostini, Rainey Lawson and i could go on and on. even before Marlboro became a sponsor Yamaha racing bikes were Red and white. Kenny rode a black/yellow one wich was also sweet looking hence Colin and Rossi sported that at Laguna some years ago. Only Rossi sported a blue livery, but that was due to Gauloises being the sponsor. Don't get me wrong i wish Yamaha J-LO and Ben al the best for 2012 but the blue livery sucks. It maybe the company color or whatever, but it's not the Yamaha racing color.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

I happen to think it was the idea of the guys from Iwata in Japan where the bikes get manufactured best designs for me were the Red and White livery and the Yellow livery of 2005 also the Tech 3 one off design in 2010 Ben and Colin Tech 3 bikes on race day.I

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

My! Aren't we having fun!

Mr. BennyHedgehog You say that Dovi has come up the "difficult way" like that makes any difference. If it means anything please explain why he didn't have as much success his first 2 years as Spies has?? If coming up the "difficult way" of 125cc and 250cc means anything please explain why Spies dismantled and destroyed the last 2 250cc champions in Simoncelli and Aoyama? I like Dovi and he's a quality rider but please stop with the hyperbole like Dovi is such a supreme talent over Spies - because he isn't. If he was so supreme he would have more than 1 victory in 4 years. He would have had a victory this year on the Honda - but he didn't. This is not a disrespect to Dovi. I think Dovi got a raw deal with HRC and they should have kept him. But let's not talk of him like he's replacing sliced bread as the greatest thing in the world.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Wosi

"as a Brit I'm speaking from a very weak position" - to call that an understatement would be disrespecting actually understatements. lol. "I don't see many of them on the world stage right now? Which was another point you've side-stepped." - sided stepped?? Where have you been the last 30 years?? When has there ever been an over flow of Americans in any series except MotoGP? Even though we've won more WSBK titles than any nation you've never seen an abundant amount there. Outside of MotoGP there isn't a overwhelming ambition to do the other series - there never has been. I know you may think Europe is the center of the world and everyone should be dying to be there but let me let you in on a little secret - everyone doesn't think that way. Let me let you in on another secret - I don't watch MotoGP for the "Americans". If it was zero Americans in the field I would pay the same amount of attention. I was into F1 before MotoGP and I still stay up all times of night or wake up before the sun comes up to watch. Not having an American hasn't affected me a bit.

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

Blue has unfortunately been the corporate colors since the late 90's....complain to Yamaha Japan enough and maybe they will listen, as I cannot stand the vomit blue.  Bring back the corporate colors of Yamaha Europe/Japan(red/White) or the 60-70's Yamaha USA (yellow/black). 

Ben Spies will hopefully step it up the coming season.....he has to if he wants to keep his factory ride!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices