Skip to content

Discuss This Video: 2012 Kawasaki ZZR1400 first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: 2012 Kawasaki ZZR1400 first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: 2012 Kawasaki ZZR1400 first ride

Twenty-two years after the powerhouse ZZR1100 was launched, Kawasaki has released its all-new ZZR1400 complete with a bigger engine than ever, more power, and sophisticated traction control. To find out how it stacks up, MCN rode it flat out around the Nardo test facility in southern Italy, which includes a seven mile flat-out banked bowl, a drag strip and handling track. To...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 January 2012 13:25)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Gearing?

I couldn't help noticing that the dashboard shot taken from the Nardo Ring video shows about 298kph at around 10,900rpm. That means the test bikes were geared 16/42 instead of the standard 17/42, it would make them feel quicker and give a better standing start. Remember the rear wheel speed sensor is responsible for the 186mph/300kph limiter, so that and the speedo would still operate normally. Either I'm right or the bikes instruments are wildly inaccurate. It certainly wouldn't be the first time bikes have been "adjusted" for a press launch. Still an impressive motorcycle though.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Exactly Bob 1

Geared for Acceleration right up to its restricted max unlike previous bikes or the current Busa which "goes off" the speedo in 5th

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Legally?

Doesn’t the CE require speedometers to be optimistic at higher speeds? I would trust a GPS more than a speedometer at anything above 100 kph.

Reply to this Topic
widowmakerv2

Mar 06

widowmakerv2 says:

CHAD's new leathers

Cool Texico Suzuki leathers . Crazy fast bike but i would love one?

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Bob1 +1

They essentially changed the gearing so that it hits top speed in 6th unlike the older model and the Busa which hit top speed in 5th. Basically if you buy (make) yourself a $25.00 TRE box you can bypass the restrictions in place and probably get close to 200 mph stock, given the appropriate gearing.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

To CBR11X. re: Top Speed

I know all about the gearing, I was one of the first people in the world to crack 200mph on a ZZR1400 back in 2006, I have the gearing tables for both the old and new bike. The TRE you suggest won't work on the 2012 bike and neither will the SpeedoHealer, which I used on my 2006 ZZR. The new bike doesn't get speed information from a pick-up by the gearbox sprocket like the old bike did. It uses wheel speed sensors which are used for ABS, traction control and speed information. The ECU looks at the speed data, not the gear position and it retards the ignition at 300kph. The way people are approaching speed derestriction on the 2012 ZZR is to re-flash the ECU. Look at the ZX-14 forum on Bikeland for some more on this.

Like I said before, 298kph and 10,900 rpm doesn't compute. The speedo and tacho are always optimistic so they could have red-lined in it 5th to get the shot of the instruments showing these readings, (which could happen if they were both over-reading by 10%) but I think the gear position indicator is showing 6th so the bike was probably fitted with a 16 tooth sprocket. Anyway, that's my theory because otherwise it would mean that the speedo was dead accurate and the tacho wasn't. This never happens, we all know that both instruments over-read by several percent and 298kph should be 10,200 in 6th with standard gearing.

Can't wait until I get my 2012 ZZR, the dealer has a demo bike already and stock is expected by the end of Feb or early March.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stonecoldkane

May 10

I need this...

Have been waiting for this to arrive cos l need it. Hope it does well against the Hayabusa in a couple of weeks...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

The ZZR1400 Third attempt

With 1442 cc's and 200 bhp I would guess Kawasaki are playing it safe as it is So similar to their ZX10. Apart from Torque obviously. Will Suzuki reply?????

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Bob1

I got the specs from http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/zx142006detail.html. Assuming they are correct, I get 298.8 km/h at 10150 rpm in 6th gear for the new ZX14R. So I don't see Kawasaki's claim as exaggerated in any way as, like you said, the tacho probably over estimate the revs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices