Skip to content

Discuss This Deposits on bikes in doubt after George White folds General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Deposits on bikes in doubt after George White folds

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Deposits on bikes in doubt after George White folds

Britain’s biggest motorcycle dealer could default on dozens of deposits placed on new bikes after going into administration. A source at a major bike manufacturer warned George White Motors was unlikely to complete outstanding orders after the chain’s six branches unexpectedly closed last Thursday. The chain had branches in Swindon, Plymouth, Torbay, Bolton, Donington and Slough, selling bikes from Honda,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 January 2012 15:19)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
R1MALPS

Nov 06

R1MALPS says:

Out of the blue

Well that is naff news, I was considering another new bike through GW again. I bought a new bike of GW a couple of years ago getting alot of free kit as well. It was a cracking deal and it prompted me to deal with them on many occasions buying kit. Such a shame, dealers around my area are just a bit greedy.

Reply to this Topic
R1MALPS

Nov 06

R1MALPS says:

Out of the blue

Well that is naff news, I was considering another new bike through GW again. I bought a new bike of GW a couple of years ago getting alot of free kit as well. It was a cracking deal and it prompted me to deal with them on many occasions buying kit. Such a shame, dealers around my area are just a bit greedy.

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

R1MALPS! Naff news!

That's maybe why they've gone bust! Handing out a lot of free kit just to get a sale!  Soory for all those that have paid a deposit and no bike! Hopefully everyone will get sorted out.! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
Boltysan

Nov 11

Boltysan says:

@ R1MALPS

It's inevitable that we all want a good deal but we have to look at the bigger picture and pay a fair price for our bikes and accessories, you say that the dealers round your way are too greedy, these will I imagine, be the dealers that you go to to buy a can of oil or a can of demister that you need there and then, no-one will make a decent living selling a few bits and bobs to the customer that buys most of their stuff online or from the bigger dealers, you have to support your local bike shops or they'll all close down and when they have the bigger shops will then hike the prices up.

The thing is, we all know this but we have to wise up and start supporting our local shops, ask them if they can get anywhere near the prices that you've seen online or in the bigger dealers, they might not be able to offer the same price but if it's near enough then you'll be helping him and he will then be able to offer you the support that you need from your local shop.

I'm not in the motorcycle trade BTW!

Reply to this Topic
stefmeister

Jun 11

stefmeister says:

Bigger

The bigger they are, the harder they fall ey....

Internet commerce is taking over the market. Too bad for the customers losing out on their deposits, I’m hopeful it gets sorted out. And most of all, the employees of the company!

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Deposits paid on CC are safe?

Can't view whole article, but presume you just contact card provider, goods not received so payment recovered?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I'd hope for the best

Given the state of sales at the moment, I'd expect that any manufacturer with a list of customers who actually want to buy their bikes will be falling overthemselves to complete the sales.

Hang in there, it'll all come out in the wash.

Reply to this Topic
smotchxv

Jan 12

smotchxv says:

george white

having previously worked in the motorcycle trade for many years i can assure you that the likes of george white will not be missed.margins on new bikes are so miniscule that giving away huge discounts or freebies is suicide as has been proved yet again(remember motorcycle city,carnells etc.) and the reason your local dealer cannot compete with these big hitters is that in most cases they will be in the motorcycle retail trade because they have a great interest in motorcycles themselves,probably having been bikers themselves,and just want to make a decent living without ever ripping customers off.if these local dealers are not supported then they will close their doors and everyone will be at the mercy of out of town bike stores who will just want to shift metal with no after sales service.

Reply to this Topic
wrighty1971

Jan 12

wrighty1971 says:

vouchers

Anyone got vouhers for the outlet store. I got some for christmas. I drove 30 miles last saturday to the swindon store see someone, because I heard that there were skeleton staff working. They were in the shop but would not come to the door and would not answer the phone.

Not happy!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Not Just Deposits In Doubt...

I would like to know where the money went from the sale of several hundred thousand pounds worth of GT Motorcycles stock. George White sold most of this stock in the last eighteen months since "buying" the GT Motorcycles business, having contracted to pass the money on to the owner of GT Motorcycles. He is still waiting. If you or I did that we'd be in court and possibly jail, so why is it ok for a company to do it?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle