Skip to content

General Am i even allowed to ride this bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Am i even allowed to ride this bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Am i even allowed to ride this bike?

I apologize before hand because i bet all the noobs post this question constantly but my question is am i allowed to ride a de restricted motorbike at the age of twenty? For example a de-restricted 50cc moped? I just manage to find this link and read it but im not even sure if its correct.

http://www.geton.co.uk/content/test-question

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 January 2012 01:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

that depends

if your riding on a provisional with a cbt then you cant have a bike with over around 14 bhp so if by de ristricting it it ended up with more than the alowed amount it would definatly be iliegal but there may be other reasons not to

Reply to this Topic
VladmirZvik

Jan 12

VladmirZvik says:

Hmm..

Well i hold a provisional licences with a Cat A and a Cat P certificate. But im not sure what a Gilera DNA 50cc is classed as. This is quite confusing. Ive read other site's and all that stands out to me is if i'm over seventeen year of age i can ride a de-restricted bike but i would need to declare it and let DVLA and my insurance know and something about holding the correct license.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Apparently

it outputs a max of 3.6bhp at 6500rpm,  with a top speed of 30mph (legal limit).

De-restricting apparently involves removal of the resonator tube in the exhaust, removal of two washers from the front drive pulley, and a bigger fuel jet.

Hope that helps.

Links here:DNA 50 spec and here de-restriction.

Reply to this Topic
SamLovatt

Sep 11

SamLovatt says:

de-restrict

Yeh you're able to de-restrict it, provided it doesn't go above 14 bhp.
De-restriction would count as a modification so you would need to let the insurance company know otherwise your insurance would be invalid.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Simple

At 16, a 50cc must only be capable of 30 (going down to 28 soon. EU ****.)

At 17, your allowed up to 125cc, and 14.6 bhp.

So a derestricted 50cc is fine.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Easy answer

do your full bike test, then you can ride anything up to 33bhp - even if you choose to stick with a modified 50 (so long as your mods keep it road legal). But, rather than tuning the 50, you'd be better off trading it up for the 125 or 180. Top speed is similar, but better accelleration and no need for 2-stroke oil. Should get better MPG too.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices