Skip to content

Ask an Expert Born Again Rider?? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Born Again Rider??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

magzelliott48

Jan 12

Born Again Rider??

I am a 64 yr old female and I had a few bikes in my youth. I then met my husband, he hated them, hence not been on one for over 40 years. Until, that is, last week.In a car park on a Honda 125 with an instructor. I have a full licence. I am hoping to go out with the guy a couple more times but all I want to do is get myself a bike and get back out there. I do know the dangers.I have looked at insurance from a Silverwing to a Bonneville and all the prices appear OK to me. My problem is, I just do not know what to get. I only have 30" inside leg but can manage the Honda Ok. Please could somebody suggest something for me?? I ALWAYS wanted a Bonneville but think perhaps it may be more sensible to start with something smaller? I dunno? But What?? Cheers. All replies welcomed.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 January 2012 00:00)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What budget have you got?

And what do you plan to use it for? (Commuting / touring / weekend blast?)

Have you a particular style of bike in mind?

Lots of bikes have lowering kits available, so leg length shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

It's

hard to pick a bike for someone else,not knowing then or there circumstances,have you looked at bikes like the Yamaha 535 Virago?    ''anyway''

Hi Magzelliott48 and welcome to the site:smile

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
magzelliott48

Jan 12

Which Bike

Hi Adie
Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, I will only be a fair weather rider, not going out in the pouring rain or snow. And as for style? well, I do not want a Sports type. More traditional I think, which is why I still like the look of the Bonneville (Type) as that is what I rode in the past. With SOooo many options available these days it really is, I feel, quite difficult?
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
magzelliott48

Jan 12

Which Bike?

Morning, thanks for your welcome.
I have not looked at the Virago, but will.
Since my husband died, he was only 67, money is now not an issue. I am going to spend my childrens inheritance before I too 'go' - not prematurely you understand (Hopefully).
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

which bike

Why not buy a £3 (USED BIKE GUIDE),it gives reports/rated on present bikes and previous,your talking naked/roadster bikes.

It also states seat heights.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Good

advise from Jaffa90:smilethink i would go with that:roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
magzelliott48

Jan 12

Which bike??

Hi

Thanks for the info. I shall seek out a copy of the mag forthwith. 
Cheers. 

Reply to this Topic
magzelliott48

Jan 12

Which bike

Thanks for your input. Ditto the above. I willbe in touch in due course. 

It is lovely to be able to chat about my wishes without everybody coming down on me like a ton of bricks!!!
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

born again

Welcome back to biking Magz, I take my hat off to you coming back after being off so long, have always said once you ride it stays in your blood forever. If you really want a Bonneville go for it, but just ride it within your limits and be careful, why not pop along to a local dealer and get a test ride or even just sit on one first to see if you feel comfortable on it.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
magzelliott48

Jan 12

Bonneville??

Hi bryfor59
Thanks for your post. Once I am sorted I will post back with my news. Thanks to all who responded to my question.
Cheers
:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices