Skip to content

Discuss This Mattia Pasini takes cash-strapped Anthony West’s MotoGP slot MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Mattia Pasini takes cash-strapped Anthony West’s MotoGP slot

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Mattia Pasini takes cash-strapped Anthony West’s MotoGP slot

Mattia Pasini will make his MotoGP debut in 2012 having been selected to take the seat vacated by cash-strapped Anthony West in the Speed Master squad. Fans of Aussie West were still trying to digest his shock announcement on Friday that he has given up the Aprilia CRT ride due to a lack of funding when the Italian squad confirmed 125...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 09:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
adam15holden

Aug 11

adam15holden says:

I really feel for Westy, a top rider and top bloke who never had the equipment to show what he could do.

Reply to this Topic
armcharm91

Dec 05

armcharm91 says:

Nobody should have to pay for a ride

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

that's crap

Well well well, CRT was supposed to be a brave new era where money didn't matter so much. Clearly it's still a case of who you know and how much money you bring, rather than the ability you possess.

Reply to this Topic
travis73

Jun 07

travis73 says:

A Sport or a Business...

The problem is that business has somehow bought the rights to a sport. Which is a ridiculous concept. Its time the teams took it back and defected to their own series. Paying people to organise it and structure it, with any profite being equally distributed back to the teams and riders...Paying for a ride is garbage.

If your not spanish or italian your going to struggle to get a good ride. Regardless of talent.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yes Travis

that's why a nobody kid from back and beyond NSW rose to become the dominant rider of the 800 era. Jeez. Westy wasn't good enough, end of. Frankly Pasini's record is also superior. It's odd that West was offered the ride first. Perhaps on the back of his previous (unsucessful) GP experience.

As for attacking Spanish and Italians for actually backing the sport with their cash. Just where would GP racing be without them?

Motorsport is expensive. In some ways motorcycle racing even more so, given that 95% of the populace at large doesn't give two flying fucks about it. F1 cars are big because, however tenuous the link, people can relate to the damn things as they owe one of them. In comparison bikes will always be chasing car crumbs.

There's no easy answer. We're small, and the game is expensive. Those of us that do, or have, competed know it's a big drain on ones own resources. But hey it's personal choice at the end of the day. I think if anyone enters the sporting arena purely as a means to a financial ends then that's a foolhardy attitude. Although that said it worked for the later part of Mladins career!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

Tech 3 has recieved benefits for past riders and I'm sure they recieve cash for employing Cal( correct me if I am wrong). But yet they could'nt bail out Westy? If what Westy has said (You need to be rich to race MotoGp, Moto2 and Moto3) it seems that there programs and plans are floored. 6 Spanish riders and 4 Italians, 4 races in spain, 2 manufacturers left the series ,3 engine size changes since the 500's 3 manufaturers competing for the first 4 places and some hiped up road bikes to boost the numbers at the back of the pack? Men have been sacked for less

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Given that attitude Benny

I take it you are a descendant of the toffs and knobs that sent Stoner & Mladin's (perhaps not Matt given his Slavic name) forefathers off to Bondi for stealing an apple or shooting a deer to survive?

Reply to this Topic
boro365

Oct 05

boro365 says:

Ah BennyHedgehog you do make me laugh, do you mean bread from Christmas or gingerbread probably neither no-one likes crimbo bred much or do you mean bred from crims (criminals) either way cheap shot about good riders of any country

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

I wonder

What crimes were Stoner's forefathers guilty of? Stealing granite? Unlicensed  recreational horticulture?

Is it me or has Mattia Pasini been around for ages? He hasn't got this ride based on his Moto2 performances unless average is the new black. An odd state of affairs when his ability to sell crisps in Italy outweighs his recent form to guarantee the ride. If that's the case I'd like to see Johnny Vegas riding a PG Tips sponsored D16 GP12 or Bradley Smith using McVities money to land a factory RCV. But, at least it's another mate on the grid for Valentino Rossi...

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool