Skip to content

Discuss This Petition to scrap new bike licence rules General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Petition to scrap new bike licence rules

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Petition to scrap new bike licence rules

A petition is calling on the Government to scrap planned changes to the motorcycle licence regime. All under-19s are to be limited to 125s and the minimum age for Direct Access raised to 24 under new rules from Brussels. Riders aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine of up to 125cc and 15bhp. At 19...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
motoA

Jan 12

motoA says:

So that'll be the directive from December 2006, that went to consultation in Novenber 2009, was responded to in March 2010 and has been the focus of some heavy debate by MITA, MCITA, MAG and others for more than a few years .......

....... the storm has been coming for a very long time, wakey, wakey.

Reply to this Topic
NickRichards

Jan 12

NickRichards says:

Wrong answer

I have seen some very bad riders who put their lives and others in danger and give the rest of us a bad name. Whilst many of these I have seen are young riders, I would say that the age group most guilty of this are in their 30s (as I am). Therefore, are the government targetting the wrong age group? Sounds like something created non-bikers. Waht are they going to do for young car drivers? Start them off in Sinclair C5s?!

Reply to this Topic
jonnyconcrete

Oct 05

ABSOLUTE MADNESS

the worrying thing is the fact that kids wont wait until they are older
again and again and the even more disgusting part of this will be the revenue created from kids
who cant afford to keep spending out on test after test after test to earn the right to ride a bike

thats 4 tests

the theory test
the initial test for a 125cc bike @ 15bhp
another test after 2 years for 47bhp
then another test after 2 years for a unrestricted license

All money in the pocket for the government and test centers
i truly despair at this country we treat kids like adults in a court of law
but on a bike forget it they will all be punished regardless of their own merit.

The EU is coming and trust me big bikes ARE next regarding modifications

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

I think the only change they should make to current laws, is increase the 33bhp limit to 47bhp, with unlimited access after two years.

Direct access should be set at 24 years old.

That way, *hopefully* the direct access people will be mature enough not to go jump on a hayabusa or zzr1400 on day one, and if the rider is under 24, then they'll have had 2 years experience on 47bhp bikes.

Adding additional tests is a stupid idea though. speaking of which, I probably should do my test before it all changes, I don't want to be stuck on a 125 all year...

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

my thoughts

think they should have it regardless of age by that I mean that any one just passing there test should be restricted to 47bhp for 2 years as found its the born again bikers that are the real f*ck ups on the road just my personal experience just nit sure how I would break the tests down think its seems to much of a rip off as it stands

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

Safety?

The people who make these laws always pretend it's about safety, so it's hard to argue with them. In reality, I believe it's about getting bikes off the road. Lots of people hate bikes, usually because mummy wouldn't let them have one when they were young.

You can train people until they are blue in the face, make them wear a dayglo vest or even a flashing light on their head, but it will not stop some car driver pulling out on them.

As for "born again bikers", judge not, lest ye also be judged! 

Reply to this Topic
2wheelsor4

Jul 09

2wheelsor4 says:

Different View

I have been a DAS instructor since 1995 and in my opinion as the test gets harder it is having the opposite effect. We used to teach people how to really ride, taker them out down great flowing roads, teach them how to take bends etc. But there is little time for that now.

Also, you would be shocked at how many schools just want to teach you to pass a test and not how to ride a bike - big difference.

The idea of DAS is a very good one, but riding 51 BHP CBF 500 or GS500 and that readying you for a big bike falls a little short so changing the rules to needing to take a test on a 600cc is a good idea.

The artical is wrong! As now, if you take a test on a 125cc at 17+ then you can ride a bike limited to 33BHP. It's from there things get more complicated, and I agree its pointless. It is going to be expensive for training schools to have to upgrade to 600cc bikes and buy 33-46 bhp 400cc bikes, especially as there are so few bikes available at present.

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

Petitions

If you can be bothered to sign the petition, as I have, look up other motorcycle related petitions. Here's a GOOD on from the EU.

Stop RFT and MOT's on motorcycles in accordance with EU policy
Responsible department: Department for Transport

Motorcycles take up less road, and are more economic than cars, they are also normally owned and ridden by enthusiasts who maintain them far better than car drivers. The EU did a EU survey and found no good reason for continuing with an MOT on Bikes and many other EU countries have done that either abandoning bike MOT's or made longer periods with a lieu to future abandonment. As for the Tax, why should bikes pay more than a car.

Just type in "motorcycle" in the search box of the epetition website.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Seems

overly complicated tbh,a lot of the old bill today don't seem to know what a restricted license entitles you to ride or care for that matter.I'm thinking it'll just put more people off of taking up riding and getting a full license,maybe that's their goal.................. or am i just a cynical old bastard?.

I totally agree with 2wheelsor4 though when he say's

"The idea of DAS is a very good one, but riding 51 BHP CBF 500 or GS500 and that readying you for a big bike falls a little short so changing the rules to needing to take a test on a 600cc is a good idea."

Maybe even 750+cc?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I don't know what's worse here

Ignorance of politics or the concept linear time.

If you want to stop these license changes, then hop in your Tardis, go back to 2004 or thereabouts, and then contact your MEPs.

These license changes are a done deal, try to get over it.  The best that we can hope for is a light touch implementation.  Fortunately we've got Mike "the bike" Penning in the DfT at the moment, on a crusade to remove gold plating.  It could be a lot worse.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices