Skip to content

Discuss This Petition to scrap new bike licence rules General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Petition to scrap new bike licence rules

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Petition to scrap new bike licence rules

A petition is calling on the Government to scrap planned changes to the motorcycle licence regime. All under-19s are to be limited to 125s and the minimum age for Direct Access raised to 24 under new rules from Brussels. Riders aged 17-19 will only be able to gain a licence for a machine of up to 125cc and 15bhp. At 19...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

How about...

Make the CBT into the test?

Reply to this Topic
Paul Gizza

Jun 07

Paul Gizza says:

How About Car Driver's

As new biker's have to jump through all these hoops to proove thier ability to ride how about car driver do the same.

On new years eve 2011, i was a passanger in a friends car and we were driving through a New Forest village in a 30MPH Zone.  A 19 year old lad (only Passed his test 6 Months ago) came round the bend and lost control and hit us head on sideways, yes sideways! hit a telegraph pole then into the woods.

He tried to tell the police he was doing 30MPH (LOL), the police believe he was acually doing 60MPH.  The only punishment he was given was to go on a driving improvement course.  Luckerly both of us was unhurt, but had we both been on our bikes i'm covinced we'd be Dead!

Reply to this Topic
atbowner

Feb 12

atbowner says:

Double Standards Agency

this directive is a done deal, its too late to stop it. the problem we got now, is how those twats (the dsa ) interperet the rules.

after the last directive numourus trainers and dealers have gone under. and now after kicking all bike related companies inbetween the legs with their incompetence.

they expect all us trainers to fork out thousands more on different machinery, which are also more exspensive to run and maintain. and to add insult to injury, they forced in the poxy shambles module 1 test, and are about to charge trainers £1 per minute to use the area to train on.

NOW is it coincidence, that with all the costs and hassle,  there has been a drastic reduction on the amount of bike tests since introduction of the last directive ( i am down 65% ).

and all these new bikers would of been buying mid range bikes ( the type george whites have drastically lost sales on, since last directive ).

SURELY THIS CRAP, IS THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR NEW BIKING BLOOD, AND NEW SALES.

IS IT NOT ALSO COINCIDENTAL THAT MORE PEOPLE ARE JUST DOING CBT, INCREASING SALES ON 125CC MACHINES thus putting more inexperienced bikers on the road.

GOD HELP US...............................................................

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

New licensees more than halved after the two part test came in, but they are gradually recovering.  2012 should be up again as word gets out and people cram their tests in, same as they did in 2008 before the 2 part test.

And the current lot of clowns at the DSA aren't been given a free reign.  Penning has already made Mod 1 a bit more sensible, has stuck 2 fingers up at Brussels by allowing 48kph on the speed checks, and is pushing to get back to a single on-road test by the time the 3DLD categories come in.

I hear you about having to get new test bikes, but come on, this Directive is 6 years old, it can hardly have come as a surprise.  Nearly all new 600cc+ bikes are more than sufficient for the new A test, and an SV650 costs £4450 right now before haggling (I wonder what you could get a Hyosung or a nearly new Suzuki for?).

What the DSA need to clear up urgently is whether A2 test bikes will need to be under 35kW, or whether 40kW+ A bikes can be used for both A and A2 tests.

>"How about... make the CBT into the test?"

I'm pretty sure that's the intention of the 3DLD. It doesn't make any mention of provisional or learner driving or riding, and I suspect that the days of solo L riding are numbered.  It might take a court case against the Crown for letting Little Dead Johnny ride with a non-3DLD license, but it'll come.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone bothers getting the new A1 license - I can't see any more point to it than the current one, if we're going to give "direct access" to A2 at 19 anyway.

Reply to this Topic
atbowner

Feb 12

atbowner says:

Double Standards Agency

just as i say, most present das bikes were 3k, now with 3dld going to 4.5k upwards.

my 500s do 60mpg, most 600s 40ish mpg.

plus possible additional bikes for the a2 test

and after being kicked in the nuts for nearly 3 years, whilst this present fiasco goes on. we are suffering.

and due to increase in cbt only, we get by.

YES we will have a rush of under 24 yr olds before 3dld, but what happens next year when most people under 24 cannot be bothered with all the euro crap.

all the trainers will have to shut shop, and mid range bike sales will drop more.

sorry to give it as it is, and be negative, but it is about time certain people (dsa and parliament ) listened to the trainers and said stuff europe and go back to great britain, not mini me brussels.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Rogerborg

Post 2012? I don't think that anybody will even do A2 - why pay a thousand pounds plus for two sets of training and tests, when if you wait a few more years you only have to do DAS?

>"How about... make the CBT into the test?"

I'm pretty sure that's the intention of the 3DLD. It doesn't make any mention of provisional or learner driving or riding, and I suspect that the days of solo L riding are numbered. It might take a court case against the Crown for letting Little Dead Johnny ride with a non-3DLD license, but it'll come.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone bothers getting the new A1 license - I can't see any more point to it than the current one, if we're going to give "direct access" to A2 at 19 anyway.

Provisional A1 maybe, like it is now?

No one will do A1 licence unless it is a requirement for the A2 test. The only benefit is carrying passengers and riding on motorways.

Any modern 125 will not want to go on a motorway.

And if you do, you cost yourself quite a lot of money long term. (Multiply 5-600 quid by three)

Plus the bikes in the meantime.

Reply to this Topic
chrisrowles1996

Nov 12

say no to january 19 2013 laws for new riders

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39237 sign on if u dnt want to be stuck on a 125 for two years or a 400cc for two years :D

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices