Skip to content

Discuss This How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured

Thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly riding without insurance because of confusion over what constitutes a full licence. Many riders tell their insurance company they have had a full licence since the date they passed their standard motorcycle test. But the insurance ombudsman has concluded they are wrong, and a full licence is only obtained when the 33bhp power restriction elapses,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 11:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
matthamilton

May 09

matthamilton says:

Full license

I did my 33BHP test (A2) 3 years ago now. And would say I have had a 'full' license since 3 years ago. My license happens to be the A2 license as opposed to the A license I would have if I did DAS. It is still a full license. If you passed your car test today and drove a van would you say you had a 'full' license even though you can only drive up to 3.5t and not 7.5t (Category C)? It is still a full license, just not to that category. -Matt

Reply to this Topic
alexanderis

Oct 11

alexanderis says:

F*** the insurers they are ripping off too much already

The whole idea about insurance is just a nuisance to pay burea

ucrats their wages and it has no relation with real world prices. If you would actually think how many people have accidents. There are a few. how many of them claim? and there you go. My mate from lithuania pays 70£ a year for his R6 and he's 21. And purely it is fully comprehensive cover. What the hell is wrong with the UK insurers? I'd say screw them D***heads...

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

Good of them

to actually provide the option for you to let them know you have a restricted licence. Tossers. I would have thought most people get insured through comparison sites which don't distinguish between full or restricted licence and when you do take out the policy there is still no distinction. Looks like the insurance industry doesn't want you to let them know so that they can get out of paying out on legitimate claims or am I paranoid.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

I loathe insurers and the DVLA as much as the next person. But, at the risk of being unpopular, I'm not sure they can really be seen as the bad guys on this occasion. You've passed a test which you know only allows you to ride a 'restricted' bike for the first 2 years. I just don't see how someone can think 'restricted' is the same as 'full'.

Reply to this Topic
CBR600FMAD

Jan 12

CBR600FMAD says:

33BHP

So your telling me that if i pass the restricted test and ride a bike with under 33bhp for 2 years having answered that i have a full licence and that i have held it since the date i passed my test, so two years when renewal comes up. I actually should then be saying that i have held my licence no years because my restriction is listed. that is bull shit. also what if you pas the end of your restriction part way through your insurance year what do you do then? you suddenly go from ridding one and a half years with a full license to no years. Utter bollox!!!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

Insurers need to talk responsibility

Surely if the insurers had worded their questions in a sensible way this wouldn't be seen as an issue. If they'd asked a couple more direct questions about how you got your licences and when that would have helped from the off.

Reply to this Topic
bikerlad123

Jan 12

bikerlad123 says:

UTTER BULL!!

this is just utter crap! just another way for the insurance companies to grab more money off us! as far as im concerned, i passed my test in 2008. i was only restricted becuase of my age, whats the point taking my test, if 2 years later thats when i apparently actually get my full licence?? utter bull!!

Reply to this Topic
bikerlad123

Jan 12

bikerlad123 says:

UTTER BULL!!

this is just utter crap! just another way for the insurance companies to grab more money off us! as far as im concerned, i passed my test in 2008. i was only restricted becuase of my age, whats the point taking my test, if 2 years later thats when i apparently actually get my full licence?? utter bull!!

Reply to this Topic
bernyc

Aug 04

bernyc says:

e bike

as another point with e-bike, even with fully comp insurance, they do not allow you to ride any other bike, but it isn't stated anywhere on their policy, i only found out after emailing them, regarding riding my wifes bike, be warned.

Reply to this Topic
Rrrory

Jan 12

Rrrory says:

Test

Why is it that the test that we take is the same! Module one and then module two....same rules same routes...same examiner,I took the full cat A test and my wife took the restricted A2 on a scooter So why do insurance companies see this as different?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle