Skip to content

Discuss This How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

How thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly uninsured

Thousands of motorcyclists could be unwittingly riding without insurance because of confusion over what constitutes a full licence. Many riders tell their insurance company they have had a full licence since the date they passed their standard motorcycle test. But the insurance ombudsman has concluded they are wrong, and a full licence is only obtained when the 33bhp power restriction elapses,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 11:37)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Steph1972

Mar 11

Steph1972 says:

Outcome...

Hi, does anyone have the outcome of this? I am currently on 33bhp - telling Churchill that I passed my test when I passed my "A2" Mod 2 test, last June ... I would hate to think I am uninsured! All they asked me was the date I passed my "full test" and if it was A on my plastic card ... which it is with the 25kw restriction, I told them this and also that a 33bhp kit has been fitted, they said that that Mod does not matter!

Any advise, or will I have to call them back up to confirm?

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, chaps.  eBike are the exception in that they do distinguish between the different types of license.  They're also demonstrably a bunch of pig headed stubborn pedants, since by forcing Mr Osborn to take it to the FOS, they spent £400 in order to get £35 back, let alone the bad publicity from it.

If your insurer doesn't distinguish between license categories at the point where you agree on the contract, they can't reasonably decide to change their mind later.

And worst case, at least now we know to just bypass the FOS (losing them their £400 tithe) and invite our insurers to see us in proper grown up court.  It'd be a civil case, small claims, and it costs nothing to represent yourself.

Reply to this Topic
motorhead50

Feb 12

motorhead50 says:

no subject

I could not imagine riding my bike without insurance.  I made sure that I was covered and I know that I still am.  Riding my bike uninsured would be just as crazy as training in jiu jitsu without health insurance.  I train a few times per week at Marcello's Indianapolis BJJ Training Academy and have suffered a few injuries that would have cost me a pretty penny if I wasn't insured.  Be sure you all are insured while riding.  It's too dangerous otherwise!

Reply to this Topic
Mikeyc22

Sep 12

Mikeyc22 says:

Ring to make sure?

Just passed my mod 2 on my 125cc which gives me the A2 licence so when looking at comparison sites quote their price over the phone and make sure they know about the 33bhp limit? Unless i go with someone who has it as an option on their website. It's sly how they can saw your insurance would be void yet they don't supply the option, their fault...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices