Skip to content

General Things that happen when riding a bike... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Things that happen when riding a bike...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Things that happen when riding a bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 January 2012 21:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Frieda

IMO only, the guy on the bike was too close to that car.Always expect them to open the car door.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Yes, Aehewitt

... but given that the car was stationary (with the AA van right behind it), the motorcyclist thought rightly to get round it and go up front... I think he would have been at fault if riding further away from the car, giving himself a chance to end up in the path of vehicles turning into the road (just seconds prior to the accident, you see a car coming down the road in the opposite direction)... I think the driver, given that he was anxious to get out of the car to speak to the AA man, forgot to do the basic blind spot check and, sadly, did not foresee the consequence of his action...

It would be interesting to know what we would have done in the motorcyclist's shoes (boots!)... Wait until the lights changed and THEN go round the AA van and the stationary Merc.? Hmm 

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

I would have joined the queue

and waited for the lights to change. There again I wouldant have gone down that street just to turn around and come out again.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Assumptions...

Rider: "The cager will see me approach";

+

Cager: "There is nobody coming up from the side, surely"

=

Accident. :doubt:

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

No one's blameless

The rider having taken a wrong turn was in a hurry to make up for lost time so headed straight to the front, nothing wrong with that but maybe he forgot the necessary caution when filtering.

The driver (I hate the term 'cager') didn't look properly, if at all and...well you saw what happened.

Best thing would probably be to each agree to fix your own and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't post it on youtube and get sanctimonious about it :ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Yes, Barney

but I suppose there is an imbalance:

flick of the door for driver = no problem;

flick of a driver's door in a biker's path = injury or even death...

Remember this one?

Makes you think, hm...

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Furthermore

Just noticed something else which I wouldn't have done.

He turned left into that street, then in his commentary he stated that he took the first left and that it had been a mistake. So assuming that he was intending to take a later left turn he would have to take a left at the lights where he had the collision to get back on the main road.

So why did he pull up on the right hand side of the merc? The merc was right up at the stop line so the furthest he could have got was level with the wing mirror, the driver could have been intending to turn right, the rider turning left and that would have been another collision.

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Yeah Frieda

I know what you're saying but that's more call for us to look out for ourselves, we all know the risks with manoeuvers (never could spell that :biggrin:), like that and we all have lapses of concentration, as do drivers. In this guy's case enough factors came together for him to have a wee tumble. I know he was lightly injured but it could have been worse.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Barney

Now that I watch it again I see that the car was actually driving up to the lights, it was not stationary...

My assumption is that the AA van was there for the car, because the driver opened the door while waiting for the lights... Whether he intended to leave the vehicle, it is another story... 

The AA van did not have flashing lights on, and was not indicating - neither was the car (both heading straight, potentially)... 

The jury is out... I still think the driver should have looked... If they were intending to get out of the car, they should have parked up by the side of the road first anyway. I happen to think you are right in saying the biker was hurrying, trying to get back to the main road after a wrong turn...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing , hm? :sunglasses: We are all so clever sitting at our computers :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Hindsight

Yep it sure is! I'm sure if the circumstances had been different he may have assessed the situation differently and...well...you don't need me to explain hindsight! :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices